MS Exchange problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John89, Mar 23, 2010.

1. John89 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have mail set up on my iPhone. Everything works perfectly...mail, calander, the lot! When I input the exact same settings into my macbook pro I keep getting error messages saying it cant be synced etc. Has anyone else had similar problems? Is there a way to sync the settings directly from the phone?

Thanks
    John

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Do you have Exchange server 2007 at your office? You cannot sync exchange settings from the iPhone - you may need to talk to your mail administrator for more information.

3. John89 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I just dug up this thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=791841&highlight=exchange

Kinda strange why the iPhone mail supports more then the OSX mail?!? Why is that?

Will speak to the guys at IT to see what version we are running at work.

Cheers!

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The technical answer is one of APIs.

The iPhone connects to Exchange using Exchange ActiveSync, which is an API designed specifically for mobile devices to connect to Exchange. It was introduced in Exchange 2003.

Apple Mail connects to Exchange using Exchange Web Services, which is an API for desktop clients to connect to Exchange. It was introduced in Exchange 2007.

If your company uses Exchange 2003, you'll need to use Entourage 2008 or earlier to get your Exchange mail/calendar on your Mac. If your company uses Exchange 2007 (SP1 RU4 or later) or Exchange 2010, then you can use either Apple Mail in Snow Leopard or Entourage for Web Services (which is a free update to Entourage 2008).

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. natewsmith macrumors regular

Okay now the obvious question.

Has it worked before? And do you pay the $45 bucks a month from AT&T for the Exchange feature?