MS Flight Simulator Development Terminated?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Infrared, Jan 23, 2009.

1. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

If they would make a Mac version only, they would see more money than the Windows version. Plus it would be fresh and new. Not too many people run a Flight Simulator at work and people that have the program may not upgrade every year.

2. dimme macrumors 65816

I guess FS X will be the last. Sad I have been a user since my Commodore 64.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the Xplane developers are probably rejoicing right now.

that said, this has been a long developed program by MS, and i don't know how they can expect to make $$ with a new version every year or so. spread out development and do big updates every other year or every few years and it would be a better program overall.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

We will have to see if they spin this product off to out of house development, cancel it, or even to a reconsituted ACES group under another name.

Bungie was spun off, but is still making Halo:ODST, and maybe more Halo games in the future.

If Microsoft has decided to discontinue the series, this will be a huge gain for Xplane. It is the only other realistic simulator on the market that I know of.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

They usually put out a new version every three or four years.

I'll be sad to see this go, assuming this article is correct. Bought every version from 95 up. :( (I think I have the original for the Apple II around somewhere too.)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my mistake then. i thought they had faster development than that. :eek:

in any event, i know some who will be sad to see this go as well, as it was a great program.

7. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Here's the BBC article about it:

8. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Heres how they revive the series in one easy step bring back:

Combat
    Flight
    Simulator
    :cool:

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

10. dimme macrumors 65816

I think we will see the next version of Microsoft Flight Simulator on the X-box.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

First one was the best. (I remember my dad and I playing that and the 2nd one for hours. But when we bought 3, we couldn't get it to work on any PC...)

12. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

They might take some tech from Flight Sim and use it in an xbox game, but I doubt that they would make more than an "Arcade" type sim. The focus of Microsoft on the xbox is games, not applications such as flight sim or even web browsing.

As far as I know, the only three xbox flight type games: Ace Combat 6, Over G, and the upcoming Tom Clancy's HAWX. The good thing is that they have made flight sticks work with Ace Combat & Hawx.

That being said, I think that a version of flight sim that doesn't push the hardware would be a good thing. (I would still want to use my CH controls, and a keyboard for those items I don't have enough buttons for.) Cheaper hardware means more people could try the program.

I wish I could run flight sim on my GMA 950 macbook, but I didn't even try to install the 2004 COF version, and didn't buy FSX just due to the hardware requirements. This is also the same reason I game on my xbox vs my mac, Apple's consumer level laptop just doesn't have the power for most modern games.

I will add that Xplane does run on my macbook, with some lower settings. They did a great job squeezing the program down to run on my graphics chip.

I suspect that if Microsoft is interested in making another flight sim, rahter than develop for the xbox they will simply take another program and put the Flight Sim name on it. Who knows, maybe we will see Flight Sim 2010, powered by Xplane.....

The interesting info would be how much did the ACES team cost, vs how much yearly revenue the FS programs made. In other words, did they make enough money to justify the costs and hassle involved?

PS, the very first program I purchased for my new computer was Apple 2's version of the Sublogic Flight Simulator 2. I'm an ATP pilot now, so I guess Apple and Flight Sim helped jump start my career many years ago.