MS Money Alternative - Specific Feature

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OffRoad322, Nov 30, 2011.

1. OffRoad322 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have been reading the forum for some time, but I just bought my first mac...Macbook Air 13". I've been using an older version of MS Money to manage my checking, credit cards and bills for the last 10 years.

I've been trying to find a similar program to use on my new Mac. I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I am looking for a specific feature. The main feature I use on MS Money is the "Bill/Deposits" screen. It allows me to highlight the bills and deposits to let me know how I am doing that month...basically a budget screen but shows bill and deposits...a lot of the Mac choices wait until you input your deposit before allowing to budget. Picture attached.

I know I'm getting detailed here, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

I use iBank. Has worked great. They have a trial to check it out.

http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/features.php

It let's me see my worth and compare expenses to income ranging from the month to the whole year.

But I am not 100% I understand your question to be honest.

3. sjohnston macrumors newbie

sjohnston

MS Money

Good luck finding a replacement, like you I have been using Money for 10 + years and I have not yet found a Mac equivalent which had all the features and did not look like taking a 'week' to set up. I simply installed Parallels when I bought the MBP this year and it works well.

4. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Very true. I did that for a while too. Finally had free time and took some time to setup iBank and got it working well for me eventually. I enjoyed MS Money too.

Try some trials out there for banking software if they lack in features you want then use a virtual enviroment and run MS Money that you are used to.

I hear Moneywell is nice also.

5. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I used to be an MS Money user for years and then when Microsoft ditched the program I switched to Quicken 2010 for the PC. Earlier this year I switched back to Mac and I am very happy with Quicken Essentials for Mac.

A lot of people say the app is garbage, but for me it is perfect.

6. roadbloc, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Until today, I had an old laptop dedicated to running MS-Money and managing my finances. However, it finally broke on me and decided to take the plunge for iBank.

And I gotta admit, I'm glad I did. It takes some getting used to, but it's a great program and well worth the small price for it.

EDIT: Found the feature you're looking for. It looks simple enough and has iCal integration which is nice.

Attached Files:

7. swiftflo macrumors regular

Plus 1 for Quicken

8. OffRoad322 thread starter macrumors newbie

Roadbloc that is great news. Is there a way to highlight the scheduled bills and income and see a running balance?

9. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

The iCal integration is also nice now with iCloud sync. So can see on my phone what is do with a drop down of notification center. And it is always sync'd.

10. brodw macrumors newbie

Solution!

I think you are using an update of MS Money but it should work either way checkout my post

http://isetup.brodwilkinson.com/post/50818388139/ms-money-on-a-mac

I hope it covers enough for you to get the solution yourself. I've got it working on my Fathers Macbook Air and it works without fail! He is not a tech savy guy and has never had a problem, he simply uses it as he always did before. please leave a comment on my post for a response as I will probably not reply to replies here. If theres enough requests I'll make a full tutorial, possibly a download and if theres overwhelming requests I will make an actual mac app from scratch for FREE. I would very much like to make the app but just need to see if theres any demand.

11. chappa-ai macrumors newbie

iBank is buggy

I too had used MS Money for 10+ years before switching to Mac and am astounded by the lack of finance management software available for a superior computing system. Like others, I've been using iBank for over 2 years and will tell you that it's very buggy and lacks many features found in MS Money, such as forecasting and useable convenient reporting.