MS Office 08 pisses me off

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SnowLeopard2008, Nov 13, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I open Word, and try to type something, whether it'd be an essay or research paper. When I switch spaces, like 99% of the time, the palette will be "stuck" on another space. Very frustrating! I paid $300 for this?!? Any fix for this issue or is it "feature" like the interlacing on the PSP brites?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its well known that spaces and office 08 dont work well together yet

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

thanks for the quick reply, office has been out for more than half a year. i might just get rid of it and use open office; a free and better alternative.

4. anjinash macrumors newbie

2008 is also slow and clunky even on good modern machines. Big surprise there from Microsoft!

Office 2004 always worked better for me, but I've pretty much shifted over to Google Docs, with OOo 3 used for more complex items.

5. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i have a 2.1 macbook with 1GB RAM and using MS Office 2008 with no problems at all. the thing doesnt even slow down my computer or do i get any amounts of lag. the palette doesnt seem to follow my spaces 99% of time just every once in a while, which can be a lil fustrating

however its not a 100% product of doodoo, i like it and its a great product for me, i dont know how or why ppl with much more powerful machines that i have seem to get lag when running MS Office 2008

6. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

7. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Never tried using dual monitors, and the dock on the default LCD panel. I have the Dock on the external... But I really have to get OpenOffice if I find more than 5 bug during normal usage.

8. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, guys. The issues with Office and Spaces are known to both us and Apple. We've both released updates to our code to make some improvements, but it's not 100% yet. For more technical details, you can check out the following post from one of our senior developers: risks and rewards. It's long, with a lot of in-depth detail about what's going on.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

9. sdotbailey macrumors newbie

@nadyne

Have you guys been able to resolve the issue with Entourage dropping the connection to Exchange accounts? I would love to use the program to consolidate my work stuff and still have my calendars sync, but, I just can't. My connection won't stay on for more than 20-30 minutes. I have log into OWA for whatever reason and then reconnect with Entourage. It's highly discouraging.

Can't you make them give you guys more resources or freedom? Ballmer recently said, "Office on a Mac isn't really Office." which just invites anti-trust investigations! We'll support the programs if their good, but, there's too many bug sometimes. Let them know that customers are making different decisions not because we want to necessarily - though pricing is surely a concern - but because we have to!

OK, sorry for the rant. Anyway, yeah, look into the Exchange/Entourage thing. It'd be great for a fix to that!

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Microsoft purposely make their Mac software slow and featureless. The old versions are much better, of course because Microsoft were not worried about the threat of Apple back then. The ideal MS Office Machine is Tiger on a G5 running Office 2004.

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, we don't have an issue with Entourage 2008 dropping the connection to Exchange accounts. If you're still seeing it, you should work with IT at your company to resolve the issue. They can open a support case with their Microsoft account rep. If their account rep and tech support can't solve the issue, then it'll get into our hands here in MacBU to solve it.

Well, you're right that we're a small team, and we have a lot less people than, say, our Windows Office counterparts. We have grown consistently in the three years since I joined. We were at ~180 then, and we're in the 250 range these days. In addition to the growth we've already seen, we currently have open requisitions. In fact, ever since I've joined Microsoft, we've always had open requisitions. We've just got more of them open today than we did when I started. Would it ever make sense for us to grow to WinOffice proportions? Probably not -- there are a few more WinOffice users than there are Office:Mac users, so I wouldn't expect parity.

Growth is a dual-edged sword. It's not as though someone new comes in and we implant a chip so that they know our codebase instantly (although maybe someone over in Microsoft Research is working on that ... ;) ). It takes time for them to ramp up, and additional time on the part of our more experienced people to help them ramp up. Once they get up to speed, they're able to do more; but their first six months or more aren't ones where we count on a lot of output from a new hire.

As for freedom ... I'm not sure if we could be more free than we already are. :) Organisationally, we sit in a separate division from the Windows Office division. That means that we make our own decisions about our future. If you were to look at my place in the Microsoft org chart and compare it to, say, a UX researcher from the Outlook team, the only person that we have in common in our report-to chain is the CEO.

We are, of course, in close contact with the other Microsoft divisions that we need to work with (WinOffice, Exchange, Messenger, etc etc etc), but we decide what we need to do that's right for our users. There are places where we are in lockstep with WinOffice (file format is a great example here), there are places where we diverge from them (take a look at the Ribbon in WinOffice 2007, we went off in a completely different direction because we didn't think that the Ribbon as implemented in Office 2007 was right for our Mac users).

All that said ... if any Mac developers are reading this and want to join one of the largest all-Mac development shops outside of Apple (or are we the largest? I don't know how many Mac developers Adobe has these days), PM me and I'll point you towards more information about the jobs that we have available and answer whatever questions you might have about what it's like to work for the Evil Empire. :) (Or just go to Microsoft careers and select "Mac Office" for the product to work on to see the currently-open positions.)

This isn't to sound all corporate shill on you guys. There are things about MacBU that we need to do better. We've made mistakes, and we've set about fixing them. Some of that we've been able to release to the world already, in the form of service packs. Some of that will be seen in the next version of Office. Some of that you can learn more about if you're at MWSF -- swing by the booth and chat with us about what we do and how we do it.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks again nadyne, I know it is a tough crowd on this board ;)

I for one, appreciate your presence and your spirit
    Every response I have seen from you has been gracious and informative

I know it is easy for "us" to dump on MS and the Mac BU in particular, but I realize it ain't all bad :)

Thanks for listening!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That's really nice of you to say. :)

Regards,
    Nadyne.

14. jfull15 macrumors 6502

I have this problem too, and it's finally pushed me over the edge. It's a small problem, but it just adds to reasons that I don't need or want MS Office. There are so many great, free alternatives that I only use MS Office when I need really precise formatting options. I regret wasting money on Office, when Pages was there. I'm buying a new Macbook Pro, and I will not pay for office, in fact I doubt I'm going to use any office suite that I don't have to. Bean.app is great - I love it. Google Office is awesome too, the online storage and accessibility is amazing. MS Office is way too clunky, and ever since 2008, I've felt like everything is out of whack. Apple's the one benefiting from this, as people move into the iWork suite, or at least out of the MS suites.

15. gimmeagoodname macrumors newbie

Yep, I have lots of problems for my Office 2008 for Mac also. Not only it's slow, as dukebound noted, it's crap with spaces.

Here are my recommendations:

-iWork '08
    -NeoOffice

And sorry bout the 300 bucks :eek:.

-Respect & Thanks.

16. jfull15 macrumors 6502

In the words of steve jobs, MS Office is "a bag of hurt"

17. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

so true so true

But iWork is not compatible with crap

18. icsedge1 macrumors member

icsedge1

Entourage Database Crash

Greetings again Mac friends.

OK, so I was bad and had not backed up my Entourage 08 database. It died recently so Entourage says it can't open with the current database. I can reload the program from the disc, that is no problem, but I would really love to have the 500+ emails that I had in my address book back!

I have been backing up my Mac with Time Machine since 10.5 went live, so would it be possible to go back to say, October 15th, take that Entourage database and copy it into a reloaded (from disc) Microsoft User Data folder?

And yeah, in the future, will export contacts regularly!

TIA,
    Sedge

19. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Have you run the Database Utility to see if your database can be fixed? The Database Utility is located in Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/.

If your database can't be recovered, but you have an old copy of your Microsoft User Data folder, the Entourage database is located there. It sounds like you've uninstalled and reinstalled Office. All that you would need to do is put the Microsoft User Data folder in your Documents folder. You might also need to tell Entourage to use the correct identity within that folder, but if you've never changed it, you probably won't need to do that.

If that doesn't work, and you want to get up and running faster, you can always call Microsoft tech support. You get two or three free calls to tech support (sorry, I can't recall the exact number!) when you purchase Office 2008 at retail.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

20. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm confused. Just because when you switch spaces and the palette gets stuck on another space you are going to dump Office 2008, wasting $300. Do you have any other more major issues with the office suite like, Word doesn't work at all or anything to justify throwing $300 down the toilet?

Sorry, I know it's frustrating and I deal with it to, but to dump $300 just because the palette doesn't follow is a bit extreme.

Edit** I guess i'm one of the lucky ones who has no real issues (other than the spaces thing) and likes using MS Office for Mac. But I need it for the job that I do.

21. ByrneR macrumors newbie

I'm with you. I work with Office 2008 on a 12" Powerbook 1.5 Ghz, 1,25 GB RAM and although it's not a speed demon, it's tolerable and I like Office 2008 more than Office 2004!

Thanks Nadyne for your and your team's work!

22. jfull15 macrumors 6502

The biggest waste is using a product that you don't like. It was a waste of $300, but just because that money was spent doesn't mean we have to continue to suffer.

It was a bad purchase, so why have to live with it?

23. toonnyc macrumors newbie

There's the problem.

24. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

personally i use iWork for everything. its amazing

25. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Well in the good old Macintosh day, MS actually designed Word primarily for the MAC, before adapting it for the DOS PC....
    In todays world, I'd settle for iWorks on an :apple:....