MS Office '11 and new Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CharlieBrandt09, Feb 16, 2014.

1. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

So, I purchased and use MS Office for Mac 2011 on my iMac.

I just got a MBA, and I want to install just Word.

Can I download only Word and use my product key? I don't want the whole Office Suite.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sure,
    Launch the Office '11 installer, and do a custom install of only Word.
    Depending on your use, you may also want the fonts that Office installs, and proofing tools for your language, maybe VBA, and Automator Actions, maybe some others.
    All those are choices in the custom install checkboxes.

3. CharlieBrandt09 thread starter macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

Thanks, but where do I find this installer? I purchased a copy directly from Microsoft and installed it from the download.

Are you saying transfer the install file from the iMac to the MBA?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes. If you still have that downloaded installer app, you can copy it to a flash drive, and install on your MBA.

The only difficulty that you might have is if you purchased a single-user license. That would mean that you can't use the same product key for installing on a second computer. You'd have to check the allowed installs. Some licenses will allow to install on another system that you own, up to five. Others only allow install on one computer. If that's the case, you can purchase additional product keys from Microsoft.
    Or, if you remove Office from your other Mac, and have it installed on just one Mac, but still have problems with successfully using the product key, you can also call Microsoft product support to get license issues resolved.