MS Office 2000 Product Key problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse, Sep 11, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I've had 2 versions of Microsoft Office 2001 (for X) for many years, one of my wife's machine and one on mine.

We use them very frequently, and so it would be a drag installing the one copy and then asking "Can you quit so I can open" 10 times a day.

So, anyway, here's what's going on. My wife's hard drive died. She reinstalled office after fixing her hard drive. Now every time we open our office suites at the same time it spits the dummy!

I thought she might have installed the wrong disc... so I deleted both, and reinstalled it again.

Something weird happened... it didn't ask for the product key! I've got 2 legitimate product keys to enter, but it didn't want to know?

How does Microsoft Office get installed without the key? Is the product key hiding somewhere in the system? What do I have to edit to make this problem stop?

2. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Fixed it! Phew!

The lovely lady reminded me that because Microsoft didn't have a proper 'uninstall button' we had to go in and delete the Library preferences and data manually. That seems to have deleted all the code stuff, because we then had to use the "product key" properly as in a first-time install.

Excellent. It works!

PS: My wife's was scarier. It suddenly said "This is an upgrade version, please insert 1998 version". I had to go out into the shed and find our DECADE OLD version of office. Guess what? Had it! It worked! For a minute I thought it was going to be on floppy discs or something...;)

3. littomack714 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.

Basically I installed office 08 for my sisters computer. I accidently put in "my office 08 cd key" and not hers. SO basically, i want to reinstall her office 08, but they won't let me re-enter a different cd key.

How do i go to library preferences and delete it off there? Please reply, school is already starting!! I'd really appreciate it.

4. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

First try putting the MS office disc back into the machine... and see if the "Install disc" has an "uninstall button" which my wife (the guru) assures me is on most mac software.

If not, then go into the library and just actually delete the Microsoft folders manually! Drag them all to the trash baby! Also look up all the files in the library that start with .com and have microsoft after them as well... all in the library. So... microsoft folders + .commicrosoft files... clean them ALL out. (Anything with microsoft on it). But don't touch anything else or it will affect your other preferences to other software.

Then, God willing, it should reinstall. But as you're a student why aren't you using NeoOffice or OpenOffice for mac? They're free, and great. (Except NeoOffice can be notoriously slow on my old G4 so it just depends on your system.... my computer IS 9 years old after all! I probably wouldn't need to use software that's so old if my computer wasn't that old as well.:rolleyes:)