ms office 2004 slow start up time?

jth11688

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
i recently got a new mbp 2.2ghz and it has been running very well, however ms office takes much longer to open than i thought it would/should considering the speed of the processor. upon a fresh boot up (restarting the computer), word takes about 15-20 seconds to open and 10 seconds after i have closed it but have not restarted the computer (clearing the temp files in the ram). i was wondering if this is normal. and if not, is it my computer or ms office? thanks for your help.

also, when i hover my mouse over the menus on the top and move it horizontally to expand all of the menus, the menus lag behind the mouse. is this normal?

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I wouldn't be too concerned – it takes the longest of all my programs, longer even then Photoshop. It's just poorly coded.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As mentioned, it's due to Office running under Rosetta. Office 2008 (coming in January) is UA and should be a lot faster :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
You should probably go to MS' site and make sure you have the latest version/ updates to MS Office. In addition to that, one member made a great suggestion here.