MS Office 2004 - Suddenly an "Evaluation" Copy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarcG, Apr 11, 2008.

1. MarcG macrumors newbie

When I purchased my G4 iMac several years ago, I also purchased a copy of MS Office 2004. It works fine for my purposes today. Last year, I purchased a new 24" iMac and moved over my software. MS Office 2004 continued to work fine.

Today, however, my purchased copy of MS Office 2004 suddenly transformed itself into a 30-day evaluation copy with limited functionality. This comes as a great surprise. I need to track down the original media and try to re-install, but I thought I would post and ask if anyone else has faced this problem. It is particularly curious since I've had this new computer for 6+ months and didn't have this problem until today.

Marc

2. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of days ago on my new iMac, although I had been using Word and Excel 2004 fine for days. I solved it without using the disks--but I had them handy in case I needed to reinstall. I think what I did was to put the trial version (I think it was in its own folder in Applications) in the trash. Can't remember if I did anything else. (Maybe dragged the regular MS Office folder to the desktop, in preparation for trashing?) Anyway, my recollection is that when the trial folder was no longer accessible, Word opened from the standard 2004 version.
    Good luck!