MS Office 2007 w. Fusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rasmusDoh, Feb 22, 2010.

1. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Hi

Going to buy me a MBP (first Mac ever) when they, hopefully soon, get updated..

At work at for studies i'll be using MS Word a lot and even more Excel!
    Have used these programs in their Windows version for ages and i can't "afford to lose" the skills i've build with them, when switching to my new Mac..

Have heard a lot about the 2008 Mac version of Office isn't quite the same A's the 07 Windows version!

Long story short: Will i be able to - with no problems, lag or anything like that - run MS Office 07 from a Win 7 partition using either Fusion or Parallels?

Shouldn't that work exactly the same as on my current PC?

Hope you can help me solve this mystery! ;)

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I think the 2008 mac version is the same as the 03 MS word for PCs. At least, that's what it looks like to me :D

3. Imperil macrumors member

It'll work fine for you either on a separate partition or just installed as a VM file. I actually use XP + Office 2007 more in VMWare Fusion simply because it's faster than Win7 + Office 2007 when virtualized, but I also have a Win7 VM with Office and it works with no issue. Even the Unity mode works great.

I normally use iWork these days but once in awhile I have to help someone out with something in Access, or I need functionality from the other apps like Visio.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have both the MS Office for Mac 2008 and MS Office 2007 that I run under VMware Fusion. For my own purpose, that is, creating basic documents and simple spreadsheets, the Office for Mac 2008 is great. However, there isn't a complete feature parity between the two aforementioned versions. Which means that if I need to share my documents with my Windows colleagues, or I need to use Excel's more advanced features like Solver, etc., I'll use Office 2007 for that. By the way, Office 2007 runs great in Fusion regardless of what Windows OS you run it with.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree on all counts :)

6. polotska macrumors 6502

You can download a free demo of VMWare Fusion. Try it and see! For the reasons mentioned above, you may prefer running Office 2007 for Windows via Fusion to running Office 2008 for Mac.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You might also want to look at waiting for Office:mac 2010.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

office 2004 is essentially office 2003 for windows. Office 2008 is essentially office 2003 for windows with the ability to save in docx natively and universal instead of rosetta like 2004. Not much has been released about Office 2010, but it looks a lot like office 2007 for windows.

9. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds nice!

Imperil - and you other guys - do you think that it's actually faster using Win XP than Win 7 for virtualization?

Wouldn't Win 7 be a bit faster given that it's 64 bit? Or would that only be the case, if you actually dedicated 4 gb RAM to the virtualization of it?

10. Z06jerry macrumors regular

For maximum performance with Windows, install it via Bootcamp on a separate partition first, then install VMware Fusion and select your Windows Bootcamp partition as your virtual machine. This will give you 2 ways to run Windows; as a virtual Machine while you're booted into OSX Leopard or you can also choose to boot directly into your Windows partition at startup time (when you want all of your computer's resources for Windows).

11. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info!

Do you use Win 7 or XP though?

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Honestly?
    If it were me, I would just run XP through Fusion and not bother with the headaches of Bootcamp

If you want the Win7 experience, you can do that too, but it certainly isn't necessary if you are just running Office, and probably wouldn't give you much of a performance boost if any

I used to have mine installed with Bootcamp, but I never booted natively, and there is so much confusion/trouble with Win7 and the new Bootcamp and drivers... making partitions bigger, etc. it just isn't worth it to me

Fusion works fine with no issues

Bootcamp if you want to game
    For most everything else, virtualization is adequate

13. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Windows 7, most of the time through VM Fusion, but its nice to also be able to boot directly into Windows 7 and in order to do that you'll have to firstly install it via Bootcamp.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I agree on all counts. :)

15. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Alright.. After using both Vista and 7 i often miss XP too. Vista was crap and while 7 is somewhat better i really liked XP! Won't be using 7 for it's design and new features anyway - Mac OS X is way superior there IMO (and i haven't even ever used it - just from looking at it and reading about it)..

Will only be using Windows for running programs that just can't run in Mac OS X - ATM some work applications and possibly some study ones when i start my economics major this summer.. Won't be gaming - never liked gaming at a laptop!

But - just asking once more - the 64 vs 32 bit isn't much of a deal with this virtualization?

Will read up on this later myself, but i'll just ask you another quick question:

How do i do like MacDawg suggests and use Fusion without having installed BootCamp? Wouldn't XP have to be installed somewhere on the HDD for Fusion to be able to use it

Also i know i started this thread with a title saying ... "w. Fusion", but what are your opinions about Fusion vs. Parallels anyway? Sounds like most of you guys are using Fusion? :)

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

XP installs in a virtual machine with Fusion
    It is a virtual machine file that resides on your HD
    Start up Fusion and then use the XP disc to install

64 bit Windows 7 isn't an issue unless you can access more than 4 GB of RAM

17. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah and when you said 4 GB of RAM for 64 bit Win 7 - you mean 4 GB RAM dedicated to the virtualization of Win 7 ONLY inside Fusion, which would mean you wouldn't have any RAM left for Mac OS X - with a total of 4 GB RAM in your MBP ofc!
    Am i right on that ^^ ?