MS Office 2008 Sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aced411, Apr 27, 2009.

1. aced411 macrumors 6502

I bought it when it first came out. Glad to have 3 license keys and thought the UI was pretty decent, although much more cluttered than the ribbon. Anyway kept it up to date and ready to go in case I needed to do work stuff (most of my work stuff is done on a windows laptop). Had my first real opportunity to work on a project in word. All frustration aside in regards to the floating toolbar (just a personal preference), the speed of the app was ridiculous! Just trying to move around shapes, images and text was very slow. After 30 minutes of frustration I popped open my PC laptop (with the same specs by the way) and threw together the exact same project in a few minutes. Of course it was fast and smooth.

Before you ask, I have the latest office update and am running a 2.4Ghz Aluminum mac w/ 4GB ram. Mac office is a joke if you need it for serious use. It's ok for opening office documents and making a few changes but I can't image using it in a work setting. I was so mad by how crappy the performance was it made me doubt macs altogether, but of course I came to my senses and realized it's just Microsoft who doesn't put much effort into their mac line.

2. Spares macrumors member

I have office:mac, and was semi-satisfied with it, but decided to check out iWork 09, Pages works great and is compatible with .docx and .doc filetypes, maybe you should give that a shot

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

MS Office trashing has been beaten to death.

For what its worth, I don't have any problems moving images around in Word.

4. tallguy macrumors regular

The only thing that really frustrates me is that the floating format box isn't really compatible with spaces. It just doesn't move.

5. slashjunior macrumors regular

I have never really ran into any problems with Office 2008. It does the job. I have tried different apps like Scrivener and Pages 08 but I just can't get into them. Office is what I know best. When it comes to work I just don't have the time to look at the alternatives. If I was a professional writer then I would take some time as I can imagine Scrivener helps structure your work and Pages looks different from the overused Word templates.

I just finished on a 50 page document which was transferred between a Windows PC running Office 2000 and my Mac running Office 2008. There was only a couple of issues. Word 2000 didn't like some of the styles, plus I had to convert the file from .docx to .doc for it to work with 2000. I don't know what .docx does but I do know the .doc file was about 3 times the file size. Apart from that it came out as planned. That is an essential part of my work process being able to share files with Windows. I just feel that Office 2008 for Mac gives me some piece of mind whereas if I did my project in pages I am not certain that Office for Windows will complain about compatibility.

6. aced411 thread starter macrumors 6502

iwork

Yeah I tried iwork 09 and it's great but it doesn't have full fidelity compatibility. Example: I worked on a powerpoint presentation for several hours, brought it home and opened it in keynote. Most of the animation and transitions were gone or changed. Mac Office opened it perfectly. If I didn't have to work with office files so much I agree iwork would work perfectly.