MS office 2011 Lion Update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpt-matthew, Jul 23, 2011.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

Ok, perhaps i'm been a bit optimistic/impatient. But does anyone know when MS office 2011 become properly compatible with lion.
    I.e. have resume, versions, full-screen, obey spaces (which office has never been very good at) etc.

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Expect it in the next version, i.e. Office 2014.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I wouldn't be surprised TBH but also if that were the case, it'd be unfortunate since something like full-screen doesn't take a lot of reworking. IIRC, the iWork update to enable these features came in less than 100MB.

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Don't count on MS Office to be updated any time soon.

It doesn't make sense for their flagship software product to run better than their Windows counterpart and make people buy even more macs equipped with OSX.

5. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

So it's confirmed that VERSIONS isn't a supported feature yet in 2011? :( Dang.

6. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

The official Office for Mac blog article didn't really shed much light on this unfortunately: http://blog.officeformac.com/office-for-mac-2011-and-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

And the known issues is more of a listing of things which will go wrong as opposed to a list of features yet to be implemented (if ever): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2586538

Pity there are some pretty serious issues (particularly with Excel) which will turn away anyone who uses Office for anything remotely important/serious.

7. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

If I were conspiratorially minded, I'd have said Apple is trying to undermine MS Office in favor of iWorks...

8. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

Even I as an Apple fanboy am realistic- iWorks has nothing on Office particularly Excel in the corporate space.

9. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

For a few simple slides, I have occasionally used Keynote. Beyond that, iWork has nothing on Office, especially the 2011 edition

10. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Well, iWorks is amazingly cheap, so its not much to buy it. BUT it is still the 09 version (i think) are apple going to update it sometime soon?

11. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

When I first installed MSO on my Lion volume, I had assorted (minor) keyboard/font problems. My tying to fix them via FontBook really hosed things. So I copied back from a "clean" Lion and reinstalled. But this time:

When reinstalling Office 2011, I went the Custom Install route, thus forgoing Messenger, Remote Desktop, Visual Basic, Proofing Tools (except English), MS Document Connection, and Office Fonts.

So far, no keyboard issues and no alerts in Font Book. I remain hopeful that the remaining 231 fonts will suffice. If not, I can custom install the MSO 2011 fonts later.

FWIW, I strongly recommend you check for updates when you have completed the installation as you may need Service Pack 1 & 2.

IMNHO, MSO 2011 works well with Lion. While I am not yet certain all the new whiz-bang Lion features work as Steve divines, (unlikely as MSO 2011 was developed & released long before Lion) at least there are no conflicts, gotchas, crashes, etc.

12. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I have Office 2011 and haven't run into any issues yet with it on Lion.

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Microsoft just published this KB article about Lion: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2586538/en-us
    It describes the known issues of Office 2011 on Lion. Office Communicator users should be expecting a fix in the near future.