MS Office 2011 Trial Version & Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rabsparks, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rabsparks macrumors newbie

I recently decided that i would download the Trial version of Office. My old Excel version was no longer pulling the stock quotes that I more or less live by each day. So I figured that since MS was nice enough to give me 30 days of testing, that I would d/l the trial version.

The d/l went well, at least until I tried to Unstuff the file. The first time that I tried to unstuff the file, I got "The destination folder "/volumes/microsoft office 2011 is on a locked volume. Please select another destination".

So I opened up my Applications folder and tried again. This time I got, "A folder was specified when a file was required. (error 17530)."

So now I'm sitting here trying to figure out what's wrong and what I need to do now.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Why didn't you just try to mount the DMG??????????????

3. Kasalic macrumors regular

Where did you download this from?

All the versions I have downloaded, from the Microsoft Office 2011 site, the Microsoft Partner site and the Microsoft Technet site, have all come down as an installable file, not a disk image that needs mounting before installing.

Sorry I can't help anymore, but I would suggest re-downloading the file as it is possible the file you have is corrupt.

4. rabsparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Response

I tried to mount the dmg, but it produced the same response that I had initially.

----------

I d/l the dmg from the MS Partner site and that may be the problem. I'll try to d/l it from MS and see if that works. Thanks for the help.

5. rabsparks thread starter macrumors newbie

MS Download

I tried to find the site that you were referring to, but had no luck. The only site that i could find was the Microsoft Partner site. Nonetheless I tried d/l Office 2011 from that site once again, but the same problem occurred.

There has to be something that I am doing wrong, but I've tried everything that I could think of, including following MS's directions to a tee.

6. rabsparks thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the site that I used

Thanks for responding so quickly to my "post". I used that site to download the office.dmg twice and had the same result. After the .dmg file had been downloaded to my iMac, I clicked twice on the file, and got "The destination folder "/volumes/microsoft office
    2011 is on a locked volume. Please select another destination."

After that everything else that I tried was useless. I've d/l files to the imac before without a problem, but this is driving me nuts.

7. rabsparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally

The solution, which may work for those of us who try to download an app, is to first restart your mac in "Safe Boot". To do this, when you restart your Mac, hold down the "shift" key until you get a gray Apple, and the screen informs you that you are in "Safe Boot" mode.

Once there, the expansion of the Office 2011 program worked and the program loaded just fine. Now the bad news:

1. Did this fix come from Microsoft? No and I could never find anyone at Microsoft to call for help, or to email. And this was after I spent $$ on a DVD version of Office 2011.

2. Did this fix come from Apple? Once again, no it didn't. I found this "fix" by accident on the Internet.

3. Am I satisfied with the latest and greatest version of MS Office 2011?
    For the most part, my recommendation would be to save your money and
    continue to use your old version of either Excel or Word--neither of which
    in the new version is worth the upgrade.