MS Office 2016 license question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleHater, Jan 15, 2016.

1. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

If I buy a package version of MS Office 2016 home edition, would that license be usable on both my iMac and MacBook Pro? With Lightroom 6 (package version), I can install it to both systems and use it as long as I don't use it at the same time.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Are you referring to an Office 365 subscription? Anyway, here are the license requirements for Office 2016 straight from Microsoft: LINK

3. AppleHater thread starter macrumors 6502a

I meant non subscription version. Home and students right?

4. chscag macrumors 68000

The link I included also shows the stand alone version. For the Home and Student version it's one install on one Mac. MS did away with the 3 install version of the Home and Student version with Office 2011 being the last.

5. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

Office 2016 is indeed limited to 1 Mac per license. Which in my humble opinion is ridiculous, every modern home has multiple computers these days. If they sell it as a 'Home' edition, you should be able to use it at home; which may include more than one computer. I can only assume they are trying to push costumers toward their subscription-based Office 365 package that includes licensed use for up to 5 users. It's not expensive if you make good use of the subscription, but for a single user who only occasionally make use of the software and doesn't need all the extras of cloud storage space and Skype credit, subscription-based software can become quite an expensive hobby.

Rant aside, I decided to be bold and install the software on both my Macbook Pro and iMac for personal use, and there was no complaint about licensing problems. Then again, I haven't tried using the software on both Macs at the same time since that scenario would be exceptionally rare for me.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's because Microsoft's business model has shifted away from selling licenses to selling subscriptions. If someone wants to use Office on more then one computer or device MS has a product for them. If they're content with a single computer, then there's option as well.

I'm not saying its ideal, but I am saying that there is a solution.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Does anyone know if the non-subscription Office 2016 version suffers from the same licensing/cloning issue that Office 2011 has? That is, if you clone your HD (to a new SSD, for example) then physically install the new SSD to your Mac, you must re-input the license number.

This comes up quite a bit these days with a lot of people upgrading to SSDs. Unfortunate for those who don't have the install disks or a record of the number.

Not meaning to hijack the thread. Seems like the original question is answered.

8. chscag macrumors 68000

I believe it does. I've heard from several users who complained about having to re-activate Office 2016 when moving from one HHD to another or an SSD. I never had that problem with Office 2011, but that might be because my 2011 copy is the 3 install version.

And just to clarify another thing.... there are no install disks for 2016. You either subscribe or you buy the stand alone version product ID from a reseller and then download the suite from MS with the product ID you purchased.