Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Looking to get MS Office 2019 for my incoming MBP. The 2019 version is a single license/one time purchase/own it forever, which is what I want.

Where are you buying it, how much are you paying, and assuming it's a digital download, are you then throwing it on a USB stick for future use?

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Call me strange but I still don't like the idea of Microsoft software on my Mac. I appreciate this doesn't answer your question in the slightest but it's just how I feel.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Looking to get MS Office 2019 for my incoming MBP. The 2019 version is a single license/one time purchase/own it forever, which is what I want.

Where are you buying it, how much are you paying, and assuming it's a digital download, are you then throwing it on a USB stick for future use?

Hi

Will you also be using Office on Mobile devices or other PC’s? If so. You may need the subscription.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
You should be fine. Also I assume you are not concerned about the latest updates/releases? MS seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes they only release something in the subscription version and sometimes it is in both.

Another potential glitch is if you have multiple user accounts on the same Mac. Theoretically, the license is for the “Mac” and it should not matter how many user accounts you have. However in “real life”, we were finding we needed to reauthize frequently. We have not found that with the subscription.

I too prefer a stand alone license, but we got tired of the hassles and gave up. We also have multiple iPads.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas

I found it here for $109.00. However, I have never purchased from them and advise doing some research before purchasing. Company does appear to be legitimate though.

Reactions: cdcastillo

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I prefer buying from MS and not having the possibility the product might not install, however slim that might be and granted that might be more costly in the short term.

Last edited:

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
There have been people who reported (via google search) they purchased on Amazon and yet received an invalid product key. As always, people need to balance cost saving against risk.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Aug 16, 2018
There have been people who reported (via google search) they purchased on Amazon and yet received an invalid product key. As always, people need to balance cost saving against risk.
At least Amazon sells it directly, so buyers protection should help! But thats true, everyone needs to decide if he/she wants to buy there or not!

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks guys, I swung by the Apple store to pick up something else and it was sitting there right on the shelf in front of me for $149. High, but I wanted a physical package/product key and no concerns that it isn't legit. Was actually sort of surprised they had it, tbh since I know it just came out.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I work for a non-profit... via TechSoup, we can get volume licenses for $29/seat for MS Office... just checked and 2019 is available... and I can upgrade my 2016 for free under the license that I already have.

EDIT: Just upgraded to 2019 Office... for free!

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Does MS actually have any way to enforce the "1 PC" rule?

I am going to install it on my new MBP that is arriving tomorrow and that's the one that matters, but I also have this mid-2010 as well as my wife's that would be nice to put it on as well, but not critical.

I just remember back in the day they used to try to enforce a single license as if a household was actually going to buy 4 copies for four computers in the house (rolleyes), but you could always just buy one and put it on as many machines as you owned. Is it still the same or do they actually have a way now to limit you to literally one computer?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
That's the old MS Office EULA which was changed with the release of Office 2011. Unless you buy another license, or the multiple licensed copy, you can only install it on one Mac. MS Office calls home and also requires activation and that's how MS checks its usage. Just purchase or rather subscribe to Office 365 which does allow you to install on multiple Macs according to which subscription you buy.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Does MS actually have any way to enforce the "1 PC" rule?

I am going to install it on my new MBP that is arriving tomorrow and that's the one that matters, but I also have this mid-2010 as well as my wife's that would be nice to put it on as well, but not critical.

I just remember back in the day they used to try to enforce a single license as if a household was actually going to buy 4 copies for four computers in the house (rolleyes), but you could always just buy one and put it on as many machines as you owned. Is it still the same or do they actually have a way now to limit you to literally one computer?

When you install, it is now tied to some “internals” of the machine. Perhaps the serial number? You can only install it on another machine by uninstalling it and doing a complete activation via MS. If you have multiple computers, get a subscription, it will be cheaper in the long term. If you also have new iPad Pro models or plan to, than a subscription would be cheaper. If you plan to get the next version beyond 2019 within the next few years, then also the subscription would be cheaper.

Reactions: puma1552

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
When you install, it is now tied to some “internals” of the machine. Perhaps the serial number? You can only install it on another machine by uninstalling it and doing a complete activation via MS. If you have multiple computers, get a subscription, it will be cheaper in the long term. If you also have new iPad Pro models or plan to, than a subscription would be cheaper. If you plan to get the next version beyond 2019 within the next few years, then also the subscription would be cheaper.

Hilarious, good ol MS...thanks.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I work for a non-profit... via TechSoup, we can get volume licenses for $29/seat for MS Office... just checked and 2019 is available... and I can upgrade my 2016 for free under the license that I already have.

I’m looking at tech soup or our local university. Our current imac has the university and it needs reauthorization which my husband won’t get the code for. Word doesn’t work but excel does. I’m wondering if the license from tech soup will do the reauthorizing crap, too. We have multiple people on the mac.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m looking at tech soup or our local university. Our current imac has the university and it needs reauthorization which my husband won’t get the code for. Word doesn’t work but excel does. I’m wondering if the license from tech soup will do the reauthorizing crap, too. We have multiple people on the mac.

Multiple users on the same Mac should not be an issue... can't speak to being able to use the Tech Soup process to (re)activate a copy of Office procured from another provider.

Reactions: harriska2

Plutowillreturn

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2018
Multiple users on the same Mac should not be an issue... can't speak to being able to use the Tech Soup process to (re)activate a copy of Office procured from another provider.

I work for a non-profit / governmental agency - does Tech Soup require any verification? Any caveats (would leaving government service affect license?)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I work for a non-profit / governmental agency - does Tech Soup require any verification? Any caveats (would leaving government service affect license?)

As far as I know, their service is only available to 501c3 non-profits... and not offered to governmental agencies... as far as the software, the licenses are issued by the software vendors (Adobe, Microsoft, etc), and their licenses and terms of use are dictated by the vendors and vary.

As far as verification, yes there is a process of registering your organization with Tech Soup, including providing documentation of the organization's non-profit status.

Check it all out at TechSoup.org

Last edited:

Plutowillreturn

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2018
As far as I know, their service is only available to 501c3 non-profits... and not offered to governmental agencies... as far as the software, the licenses are issues by the software vendors (Adobe, Microsoft, etc), and their licenses and terms of use are dictated by the vendors and vary.

As far as verification, yes there is a process of registering your organization with Tech Soup, including providing documentation of the organization's non-profit status.

Check it all out at TechSoup.org

Awesome, I will check it out. Thanks!

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015

At my job, we get an email every couple of years for MS office. Two years ago it was $9.99. This year it's $14.99. Crooks!!!

Reactions: Oldmanmac

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
At my job, we get an email every couple of years for MS office. Two years ago it was $9.99. This year it's $14.99. Crooks!!!
My employer's deal went from $9.99 to $24.99. I guess you should consider yourself lucky.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
grabbed a special offer on amazon, 2019 student version (w/o outlook), permanent single license for 99 bucks

valid key, legit copy

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.