MS Office 365 for Mac Issues Initiating

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robastewart, Oct 12, 2014.

1. robastewart macrumors newbie

Today installed Office 365 Home for Mac. Install seemed to go well, and applications seem to open fine. But when attempting to open a file from within any of the apps -- Word, Excel, PowerPoint -- the application closes and immediately an message window appears indicating that "Microsoft Word [or Excel or PowerPoint] has encountered a problem and needs to close." No error codes are given. (see attachment) I contacted Windows Support. The Tech ran me through a protocol to check for and delete bad fonts, then restart, but that did not resolve the issues. I have also attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the suite. Any ideas as to cause and solution? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's your configuration of the machine you're trying to run it on, i.e., Mac model, OS X version, etc?

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Try running the Office updater file - Office 2011 came out in 2010 (while Snow Leopard was the OS?), and only MS knows how old that file is. Several updates have been issued since Office 2011 came out.

If you've installed office, the Autoupdate app runs periodically, about once a week when Office is open - but you can't run Office.

Run the Autoupdater app directly, assuming you're connected to a network with access to MS's servers, or DL the updates from the Office Support page. There's two major updates - the one that got significant changes, Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1, and the latest update which is cumulative (14.4.4) since then.

The Autoupdate app is here: Macintosh HD ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ Microsoft ▸ MAU2.0 - run it and it will do the rest if you follow the instructions. I DLed the Office 365 installer a couple of weeks ago, and it was box stock and not updated - but I installed Office and ran the Autoupdate app first. I couldn't tell you if Office 2011 would have worked or not, though this isn't the first time I've installed Office on a Mac and have learned to run the updater first... Good luck.

5. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

If you can't get a solution on here, definitely go back to MSFT. You're paying for tech support, so you should get it.

I've had Exchange Online for several months and got O365 a few weeks ago for my new Windows machine. I haven't had to call about O365, but the Exchange Online support was excellent.

Good luck.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the idea of applying any outstanding updates. You may have an older version that requires updating.

7. drambuie macrumors 6502a

From what I read in your post, the Office apps start and run fine, but fail when you try to load a file. What files are you trying to load? Using Excel for example, are they .xls or .xlsx files saved by you in this version, or are they Numbers files? Can you load any of the templates?

You can see if you have the latest Office update in the Help tab of each app.