Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
On my Windows PC at work, all of the Microsoft Office apps open instantly as soon as I click on them like Excel, Word, PowerPoint.

But on my MacOS, it opens a bit slowly, maybe like after 10 to 15 seconds.

Im running the latest version of macOS Sonoma and the latest version of MS Office for MacOS.
Im running on an M1 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM.

For those of you who are running or using MS Office under MacOS, please post if you encounter this behavior. as well.

anthony8400

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
Do you mean it takes a long time from when the app is fully closed (hence no dot below the icon)?
In this case it also takes a considerable time to open all the apps from the Office Suite - on machines ranging from a MBA M2 to MBP 16"M3.
When, however, the app has been opened before it opens instantly.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
After many experiments and trials, the only Office that open fast on my M1 Studio, is the version 16.69. Anything after that requires 8-10 sec to open. On M2 office 16.69 - 16.82 open fast anough.
P.S. switched to Libre Office ARM edition for mac, opens Instantaneously.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
After many experiments and trials, the only Office that open fast on my M1 Studio, is the version 16.69. Anything after that requires 8-10 sec to open. On M2 office 16.69 - 16.82 open fast anough.
P.S. switched to Libre Office ARM edition for mac, opens Instantaneously.
Ditto for me. I noticed MS Office is slow after 16.69.
Using mostly Libre Office. The only MS Office Product I use regularly is the Outlook as Apple's Mail App lacks certain functions I need.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I find that the delay happens when I haven't run an office program in a while (maybe the first time of the day). I once read that the delay is on Microsoft's side as the program does a check with the servers on launch. I haven't explored this myself.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I did a test using Little Snitch to capture network activity when I launched Excel the first time (took forever) and the second time (almost immediate). I was careful to isolate the results of each test. The first launch had significantly more network activity. This is not a perfect test since it included some traffic after Excel finally showed up. Also, it doesn't prove that the delay was on the Microsoft side. Here are the screenshots of the two runs.

First launch:

ExcelTraffic1stTime.jpg

Second launch:

ExcelTraffic2ndTime.jpg

I have a nagging feeling that it is the login.micro... that is the delay the first time around.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
MS Office apps have always taken long to open, no matter the version. They are big big apps, that aren't properly optimized.

I see the same delay on my 2018 MacBook Pro as my 2023 maxed out M2 MacBook Pro. So, I don't think it relates to processing time on the computer.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I’m thinking about switching to LibreOffice on my MacBook Pro.

Since I’m using Office apps only for basic tasks then LibreOffice would probably work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.