MS Office Docs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DSimmer, Jul 19, 2008.

1. DSimmer macrumors newbie

DSimmer

Does anyone know if there is or soon will be an application that will permit MS Office doc's to be transferred to the Touch? FileMagnet would be a good start but it doesn't have PC support. I've been a user of QuickOffice on the Palm platform for years and that kind of capability would be ideal.

I want to retire my Palm m500 and once I have this capability it can happen.

2. timbo-baggins macrumors newbie

timbo-baggins

Eleven seconds in Google gave me:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPod_touch_Features_Guide.pdf - Page 57

http://itouchtips.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/ipod-touch-document-viewers/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071122124847AAAwjPL&show=7

Knock yourself out :D:cool:

Tim

3. DSimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

DSimmer

Thanks for the reply but you're not telling me anything I don't already know. Readdle provides off-line capability but using Safari to browse the doc's is a kludge and you need to upload your doc's to their server first.

I was hoping for something similar to what FileMagnet does but with a PC and preferably with the capability to edit doc's.

4. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I don't know about editing them but have you had a look at Datacase?

http://www.veiosoft.com/

Gives you the ability to view MS Office, but better still, it turns your iPod Touch into a wireless storage device....NICE!

5. muldul macrumors 6502

I'm not sure it will be for a while. I have noticed not many apps on the store supporting Microsoft at all. For example no msn support (that i have found) in any instant messaging apps. I don't think their will be any official one with out jail-breaking it

6. mooreman macrumors newbie

I'm also waiting for this. Check out Mariner Calc, they're allegedly working on the Excel/spreadsheet end of things for offline editing, etc which was supposed to be ready for release around the same time 2.0 was released, but so far I haven't seen any recent mention of it. OpenOffice is also allegedly working on a release too, but there's no recent word out of them either. Guess we all have no choice but to be patient, until I see something I can use, I'm not going to update to 2.0. I have zero use for webapps, and to be honest, the concept escapes me if you're a Touch owner.

7. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Word processor: Notes for now, Being developed by many devs... (I hope)
    Excel: Being developed by many devs right now... (I hope)
    PPT: Being developed by many devs right now... (I hope)

I think we will see it, just in time. Retire that Palm now & get an iPod Touch, or an iPhone 3G if you want to replace your cell phone too & just have 1 device in your pocket (ie, a sexy, beautiful, kissable device by the name of iPhone 3G!)
    You will find that notes will do you for the small time that there is no real word, PPT & excel apps, but file magnet, etc are in-the-mean-time apps that you could also get.

Good luck!

SuperMacMan

8. seeny macrumors regular

9. DSimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

DSimmer

Thanks to all that responded. I've had a Touch for ~4 months now and I'm waiting for MS Office support before I can retire my Palm. I was using Notes for a while but I lost everything after a restore, so I'm patiently waiting for something that sync's with my PC's files.

Datacase looks like it's the most promising solution in the short term since they have published a release date at the end of this month. I'd still like to see a QuickOffice solution - they've been supporting Palm, Handspring and all the other major smart phones for years. I've been a long time user of their spreadsheet app on my Palm and it's superb. They recently started supporting Crackberry, so I'm expecting they will announce something for the Touch/iPhone soon.

If anyone sees any announcements, please post to this thread.