MS Office for $20 or iWork

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macjonny1, Nov 6, 2007.

1. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I have a special deal through business at work where I can get MS office for $20. I also know it is from 2004 and not made for the intel mac. Is there any reason to use it instead of iwork besides the price? I guess maybe a more fair question is what would you use if the price were the same? I really don't need all of the business features of MS Office and would almost prefer not to have this bloated software on my computer.

2. NomadicTy macrumors regular

It's only $20, I'd get it if I were you. That's what, a dinner for one at Olive Garden? It would at least give you a little piece of mind that you can handle/create documents in the 'standard' format.

3. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

I've used Office for years and years at work. However I really enjoy iWork and would not use anything else for home....but $20 is mighty cheap !!!

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

$20 is well worth the peace of mind for compatibility.

5. macjonny1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

OK thanks for the replies...I'll go ahead and grab Office.

Now, a more important question.... a little different question than which one would you get: which would you use if you had both installed on your computer?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. $20 is nothing.

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I think iWork is better, but theres compatibility issues. Also it's only $20.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You might qualify for Microsoft's upgrade program. Link

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm assuming your place of work uses Office quite a bit, making Office on your Mac at home more convenient. And you can't beat that price.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I made use of that deal last year (I assume you're talking about the Home Use Programme), and it is indeed money well spent. I expect that 2008 will also be available once it's released, and I intend to buy that too.

11. decadentdave macrumors 6502

I'd wait. Office 2008 for Mac will be released in January unless they will offer a special discount upgrade price.