MS Office for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by adddictedtomac, Mar 23, 2012.

1. adddictedtomac macrumors regular

Anyone knows if it is illegal for CloudOn to provide MS Office for iPad for Free?

See this video-

http://youtu.be/lADhON7twFU

It works quite well, but you need to be on the internet.:apple::apple:

2. oli356 macrumors 6502

http://help.cloudon.com/knowledgebase/articles/57737-is-cloudon-legal-

3. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

4. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

There was a macrumors front page article about this. Microsoft says its against their tos

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I thought tos (terms of service) were just suggestions... :rolleyes:

6. batotman macrumors 6502

Afaik CloudOn meets their TOS. OnLive did not.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

When

What's the best estimate and what are people currently using, especially for Word documents, with success? Pages? Docs to Go? What also supports PDFs and easy sync/transfer?

9. dan2012 macrumors newbie

I personally use QuickOffice Pro for iPad. It supports Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and PDF files with Cloud support. Check http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_pro_hd_ipad/ for more info.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Nothing would work as well as the real thing from MS.

Just doubting it will ever happen

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

don't ever say never.

(u c what I did there?)

12. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

iWorks does just about all that office does for a fraction the price

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It'll happen. Call BS and mark this thread so you can come back and apologize, that's all I can say ;)

----------

It's the "just about" that bites you if you work with it every day.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Why would I appoligize?

Not going to happen!

15. DS3 macrumors 6502a

There were screens of a beta ipad edition of office leaked out weeks ago from a reporter. It looked pretty legit.....

16. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Microsoft themselves have dropped hints about a version of Office for the iPad since just after CES this year.

17. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I think MS Office on iPad will happen, and sooner rather than later. Very soon.

How many iPads have been sold? How many are projected to be sold this year?

Compare the installed base of iPads by the end of 2012 to the installed base of (some competing tablet that can run some other version of MS Office). MS will get more money from catering to iPad's now and for the forseeable future.

MS doesn't make tablets; they make software. and if the iPad market isn't big enough to make a profit on developing Office for, then neither is any forthcoming Windows 8 tablet market.

I don't mind being called wrong, but let's check back here by November, ok?

Tom

18. adddictedtomac, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

makes sense, unless Steve Balmer has a different plan.....
    If Microsoft is working on an tablet, they might want to hold back on making an MS Office for the iPad.

19. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I think you're absolute RIGHT! M/S is a software developer. M/S is still a smart company--they're seeing the same stats we are, the decline of 'truck' (desktop) sales, the increase of portable sales (smartphones, tablets, even the new push on laptops with Intel's 300mil deposit on UltraBooks, et al). I think they'll have Office on our tablets (iOS because of the ease of implementing with so few devices--probably around Christmas time, 60-90 days after the release of the Windows 8 tabs) by the end of the year. It's just impossible no matter HOW good Metro and the tablets marriage is...for M/S to hit the sales numbers iOS is now enjoying on iPhone and iPad. They would be just plain DUMB to ignore 50+million devices capable of running a stripped down Word/Excel/PPT. Just as Apple has done with their iWork suite.

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. I really am. Seems the iPad 2 was the device, with the speed, to run it on. We've seen with OnLive it's capabilities running through servers...not even on the local system. It's well done, works great, and mirrors the capabilities of full blown Office systems.

If Steve continues the trend he's on--and considers re-inventing the wheel a smart thing--I think his days are truly numbered. Bill Gates isn't ignoring the tech world--even though he's spending his time as a philanthropist---he's smarter than this.

They HAVE to join the party--or risk being completely left behind with the exception of the corporate world for another half decade. Then, ALL bets are off in my humble opinion

J

20. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, Apple sells millions of iPads every year, Microsoft should rather benefit from it and release an iPad version of MS Office instead of letting others to catch on.

21. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

I think it is slower to run your computer applications from remote access.

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Depends on how you distribute them and your connection speed to the cloud. You can actually make it a faster service.

24. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

It makes sense, they did not get paid by the iPad use for their product....:D

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel