MS Office for iPad

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Recently there has been a lot of interest on how various online services are providing access to Microsoft Office as a service to their mobile users. Much of this has involved speculation as to whether these services have legitimate licensing arrangements with Microsoft – and it appears that some may not. All of this speculation has necessitated that we at CloudOn comment on our licensing situation with Microsoft to bring some clarity to our specific situation.

CloudOn is a Microsoft partner and has legitimately licensed the Microsoft technology we use to deliver the Microsoft Office components of our service. In preparation towards launching our service we have engaged with Microsoft – the Office team, the license compliance team, and team that oversees our business relationship – to ensure that we are properly licensed and in compliance with the respective licensing agreements.

We hope that this lends some clarity to our licensing situation. We are thankful for the strong endorsement we have gotten from our users, and we look forward to serving you via the CloudOn workspace.

Sincerely,

The CloudOn Team
http://help.cloudon.com/knowledgebase/articles/57737-is-cloudon-legal-

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
When

It'll be out for the iPad soon enough.
What's the best estimate and what are people currently using, especially for Word documents, with success? Pages? Docs to Go? What also supports PDFs and easy sync/transfer?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
It'll happen. Call BS and mark this thread so you can come back and apologize, that's all I can say ;)

----------

It's the "just about" that bites you if you work with it every day.
Why would I appoligize?

Not going to happen!

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
There were screens of a beta ipad edition of office leaked out weeks ago from a reporter. It looked pretty legit.....

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
I think MS Office on iPad will happen, and sooner rather than later. Very soon.

How many iPads have been sold? How many are projected to be sold this year?

Compare the installed base of iPads by the end of 2012 to the installed base of (some competing tablet that can run some other version of MS Office). MS will get more money from catering to iPad's now and for the forseeable future.

MS doesn't make tablets; they make software. and if the iPad market isn't big enough to make a profit on developing Office for, then neither is any forthcoming Windows 8 tablet market.

I don't mind being called wrong, but let's check back here by November, ok?

Tom

adddictedtomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012

Compare the installed base of iPads by the end of 2012 to the installed base of (some competing tablet that can run some other version of MS Office). MS will get more money from catering to iPad's now and for the forseeable future.

MS doesn't make tablets; they make software. and if the iPad market isn't big enough to make a profit on developing Office for, then neither is any forthcoming Windows 8 tablet market.

Tom
makes sense, unless Steve Balmer has a different plan.....
If Microsoft is working on an tablet, they might want to hold back on making an MS Office for the iPad.

Last edited:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
Alaska

Tom
I think you're absolute RIGHT! M/S is a software developer. M/S is still a smart company--they're seeing the same stats we are, the decline of 'truck' (desktop) sales, the increase of portable sales (smartphones, tablets, even the new push on laptops with Intel's 300mil deposit on UltraBooks, et al). I think they'll have Office on our tablets (iOS because of the ease of implementing with so few devices--probably around Christmas time, 60-90 days after the release of the Windows 8 tabs) by the end of the year. It's just impossible no matter HOW good Metro and the tablets marriage is...for M/S to hit the sales numbers iOS is now enjoying on iPhone and iPad. They would be just plain DUMB to ignore 50+million devices capable of running a stripped down Word/Excel/PPT. Just as Apple has done with their iWork suite.

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. I really am. Seems the iPad 2 was the device, with the speed, to run it on. We've seen with OnLive it's capabilities running through servers...not even on the local system. It's well done, works great, and mirrors the capabilities of full blown Office systems.

makes sense, unless Steve Balmer has a different plan.....
If Microsoft is working on an tablet, they might want to hold back on making an MS Office for the iPad.
If Steve continues the trend he's on--and considers re-inventing the wheel a smart thing--I think his days are truly numbered. Bill Gates isn't ignoring the tech world--even though he's spending his time as a philanthropist---he's smarter than this.

They HAVE to join the party--or risk being completely left behind with the exception of the corporate world for another half decade. Then, ALL bets are off in my humble opinion

J

adddictedtomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
If Steve continues the trend he's on--and considers re-inventing the wheel a smart thing--I think his days are truly numbered. Bill Gates isn't ignoring the tech world--even though he's spending his time as a philanthropist---he's smarter than this.

They HAVE to join the party--or risk being completely left behind with the exception of the corporate world for another half decade. Then, ALL bets are off in my humble opinion

J
I agree, Apple sells millions of iPads every year, Microsoft should rather benefit from it and release an iPad version of MS Office instead of letting others to catch on.