MS Office for Mac and spaces??? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nigelivy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. nigelivy macrumors member

Hi,

I have tried everything from Lotus Symphony to iWorks to NeoOffice to MS Office for Mac 2008, and have found that I still go back to MS Office for sheer efficiency and compatibility with the rest of the world. But I absolutely pull my hair out with it when it comes to spaces. I work with 4 spaces, and Office never stays in one space. Is there a solution to fix this?
    Is there any other Office type software out there that you would recommend?
    Thanks,

Nigel

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

No

No,

This has been the case since the beginning and there is no fix

sorrry

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't had too much problems with Office in Spaces so long as in the spaces preferences i have my apps set to their own workspace. occasionally ill get a palate from office moving around, but even thats not too frequent. /shrug. maybe i've just been lucky.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I moved to OpenOffice since I pulled all my hair out with Office. I'm very happy with OO too. I'm going to sell my copy of Office for Mac.

5. nigelivy thread starter macrumors member

I have absolutely pulled my hair out over this! iWorks is to finicky for me. I don't want to have to export all the time. NeoOffice and Symphony don't hae the funtionality I need.
    I have added all of the Office suite into Spaces and assigned them to a space but I still have problems with Office whether I have the formatting palette open or not... :S

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I experimented with all of them too. OO wasn't usable for me until the most recent release. Now I wouldn't use anything else.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

:eek:That would take away one of my most favorite parts of the OS.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Try VMWare in Unity mode and Windows Office temporarily. Perhaps the next version of Office for the Mac will have a feature added called "Works with Spaces".

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I've actually turned off spaces because of this.

Even if you do this, it wont work properly. The formatting palette gets screwed up.

11. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I agree. It does suck, but just shows how apple and microsoft despite all the talk are not on the same page.

12. nigelivy thread starter macrumors member

It's crazy, if MS would get their act together and fix this problem then they would be doing themselves a HUGE favour! I've tried almost all Office software out there, both free and purchase - including iWork. And have still found MS to be the most superior except for this problem of not functioning properly in spaces!
    I would not be able to get rid of spaces. I can't work properly without it and I think it's one of the biggest step forward in Mac OS X! ;)

13. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thank you. Someone finally points the OP to one of the DOZENS of threads which already exists about Office and Spaces incompatibility.

OP, do a search for the topic in the MR forums and you will see a number of threads in which Nadyne, from the MS Mac BU, links to an article and explains why there is incompatibility at this time. Hint: the ball is in Apple's court to fix it.