MS Office in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by radek42, Dec 12, 2011.

1. radek42 macrumors regular

Hi,

I was wondering if I need to reinstall MS Office (2011) after Lion upgrade; I currently have it running under SL. According to Apple genius software and all documents should still be there (and working) after upgrade.

Thanks,
    Radek

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It should be fine, without needing to reinstall Office. All documents will definitely be there, but it's always a good idea to backup your drive before doing anything significant, like upgrading the OS.

3. radek42 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for a quick response. I figured that if OS X is anything like *nix it should work. I just wanted to be sure. I will back up before upgrade ...

Cheers,
    Radek

4. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

Mine continued to work fine after upgrading. I don't use Office that often though, because it's sluggish as all get out (on my machines, at least, YMMV).

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Once I moved to the 13" MBA MS Office works quite well

6. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

I use it on both a 15" MBP and a Mac Pro, and it's sluggish on both. Although "sluggish" isn't a very quantifiable attribute, so it may just be I'm impatient.

Pages/Numbers opens/runs faster, so I use those, and only go back to Office if I need to for interoperability, but that's pretty rare, and usually only with spreadsheets.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It was intolerable for me on my 17" MBP too
    But on the Air, it is sweet
    In fact, it was one of the things that sold me on the Air
    Once I opened Word on the Air and it was instant... my jaw dropped

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ MacDawg, is that an SSD Air though? Because office is great for me too (launching) from an SSD. The OP may not have an SSD.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Flash memory :)
    256 GB

Makes a huge difference

10. radek42 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks everybody for comments ... I got more that I bargained for :) Thanks!

I have (well, my better half has) office installed for fairly basic use. That's what she is used to. Her main concern was Outlook because she has that at work (although this machine is strictly for personal use). I think she slowly starts to realize that Outlook for Mac is very different than one for Windowz (first Mac for her).

She tried Mail app first, but there were couple annoying points for her so she went with Outlook with some more annoying glitches.

What I did not realize that one cannot export pst file on Mac. How do you back up your mail?

I also find it very difficult to sync local/remote content using IMAP account. Mind you she uses one from our ISP (telus) so that could be part of it as well. I had to make a custom action to copy every incoming mail to local folder (I never used Outlook in my life!). I remember Thunderbird (under Linux) was quite easy to sync with the university g-mail ... oh, well.

Cheers,
    Radovan

11. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

I use several IMAP accounts with Mail.app, and there's no extra sync required (if I understand you correctly). When it downloads Mail from the server, it stores it locally so you can access your downloaded messages without being connected.

Regarding backing a PST from Windows to Mac, I copied all my messages to an IMAP folder, setup the IMAP account on my Mac, and bam, all there.

12. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Office for mac is rubbish. I bought a license just because I often need to use Excel (which is the only installed, I don't want to have nothing to do with Powerpoint and/or Word).
    And Excel is sluggish as hell, crashes many times per week. And does not work with most macros done in Excel for win Environment. Fortunately I only spent about 50 USD for an academic license, because if not I'd feel much more burglarized...