Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smythson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I just got a MacBook and love it soooo much. I have an old copy of Office 2004 for the moto chips, can I run this on my new Mac or do I need to buy the Intel version? Please help.
thanks...

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
you have to have MS office for mac. not the window's version. I dont think the chip matter's really (although it will be slightly slower since it's running in rosetta).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There currently is no Intel version of Office. You can run the PowerPC version in Rosetta...it's not ideal, but it should be functional if you have enough RAM.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
there is no mac version that runs natively on the intel chips. But the PPC version runs just fine with Rosetta. Meaning it runs as well as it ever ran on my ibook G4. ;)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
twoodcc said:
well i just installed this today on my macbook (2GB of RAM) and i can't tell that it's not native

Have you ever used it on a machine with 2GB RAM before? Are you running any other programs at the same time? Would you be willing to give it a shot with only 1GB RAM to let us know if you can tell then? I should be getting a MacBook in the next few days, and I'm trying to figure out if bumping up to 2GB is the thing to do, or if I should run it at 1.25GB and up my Mini to 1GB.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
baby duck monge said:
Have you ever used it on a machine with 2GB RAM before? Are you running any other programs at the same time? Would you be willing to give it a shot with only 1GB RAM to let us know if you can tell then? I should be getting a MacBook in the next few days, and I'm trying to figure out if bumping up to 2GB is the thing to do, or if I should run it at 1.25GB and up my Mini to 1GB.

i have not ever used it on a machine with 2 GB of ram

i am running other programs at the same time: itunes, safari, word, excel

i don't really want to take the ram out again because i had a hard time getting it in there when i upgraded it myself (i almost broke the thing). but i can install it on my intel imac that has 1.5 GB of ram if you want.

there is no lag whatsoever that i've noticed (haven't use office much on it yet)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
AJ Muni said:
You must be a very patient person..

I had heard that with 2GB RAM it may be a bit slow to open, but then it's just fine and dandy. Do you disagree?

And I would love it if you could try it out with a bit less RAM, twoodcc. If it's any trouble don't worry about it (I know RAM can be pretty intimidating since it seems delicate and you really have to force it), but the more info the better!:)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
baby duck monge said:
I had heard that with 2GB RAM it may be a bit slow to open, but then it's just fine and dandy. Do you disagree?

And I would love it if you could try it out with a bit less RAM, twoodcc. If it's any trouble don't worry about it (I know RAM can be pretty intimidating since it seems delicate and you really have to force it), but the more info the better!:)

it does take a few seconds for it to open, but it's about the same as my 1.67 ghz Powerbook. so it's really normal i think.

sorry, i'd rather not open up the macbook again since i finally got everything working right (RAM and hard drive), but if you'd like, i can compare the macbook with my imac (1.83 ghz, 1.5 GB of ram) just let me know

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
twoodcc said:
sorry, i'd rather not open up the macbook again since i finally got everything working right (RAM and hard drive), but if you'd like, i can compare the macbook with my imac (1.83 ghz, 1.5 GB of ram) just let me know

Yeah, I meant the bit less RAM in the iMac. Sorry if I was obtuse. :eek:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
baby duck monge,

I used office on a macbook 2 Ghz with 1 GB RAM for about 2 months, and now I'm using it on the same macbook with 2 GB RAM. It opens faster with the 2 GB, and maybe it lags a wee bit less often, but it's totally fine either way. No, it's not perfect, but it wasn't on my ibook G4 with 1.5 GB RAM either. IMO that's just Office for you; it's not perfect software.

But I have absolutely no hesitation recommending it for use on an intel mac with 1 GB RAM.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
QCassidy352 said:
baby duck monge,

I used office on a macbook 2 Ghz with 1 GB RAM for about 2 months, and now I'm using it on the same macbook with 2 GB RAM. It opens faster with the 2 GB, and maybe it lags a wee bit less often, but it's totally fine either way. No, it's not perfect, but it wasn't on my ibook G4 with 1.5 GB RAM either. IMO that's just Office for you; it's not perfect software.

But I have absolutely no hesitation recommending it for use on an intel mac with 1 GB RAM.

Thanks a lot! Now I just need to decide if I should go all the way to 2GB on the MacBook or say that 1.25GB is a 'good enough' upgrade and buy a 1GB chip for my Mini as well. Decisions, decisions...

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
i use office on a 1.83ghz 512ram mb

it runs like it did on my pc and my ibook g4

office has always been slow to load

i don't type fast so i could not comment on lag in terms of typing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.