MS office or iWorks for a college student?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bchamorro, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

what would you recommend for a college student? iWorks or Office?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Definitely Office considering most if not all campuses will be using MS Office with their computer labs and what not. Buy it for compatibility above all. Besides, as a student you should be able to buy Office for 10 bucks at the student store.

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve: BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I second buying office. I bought it when I bought my MacBook and never had any problems sharing files with group and class members. iWork can do conversions, but they're not always neat and clean.

iWork is great for personal things or sharing between fellow mac users. Now that I'm out of college, I use it a lot more than office.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iWork is based on templates, which might get "old" once you keep using the same template for an essay and turning that in to your professor. Office is better suited for you. And cheaper, as someone said, its 10 bucks.

5. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I vote OpenOffice. I got through college without buying MS Office no problem, and it's compatibility is slightly better- and much more convenient- than iWork, exporting and all.

6. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

use iWorks its compatible with both docs and pages and stuff
    meaning you can import and export docs, ppt, excel stuff
    so you get the best of both worlds, MS office doesnt have any compat with mac formats so i highly suggest iWorks

7. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Ever tried to export a Numbers file into an Excel file? :eek:

I have MS Office and iWork. But now I only use Office for uni. From my point of view comparing iWork with Office is like comparing iWeb with a full fledged Webpage editor like Joomla.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. yoppie macrumors 6502a

iWork is a good program if you're not going to be sharing documents a lot. However, if you expect to be sharing documents with professors (and being in college, I imagine that you will) then Microsoft Office is the answer.

Perhaps you might try OpenOffice or NeoOffice first and see how that works for compatibility and decide from there. At least then, you won't have invested any money into another application if you decide you need/want Microsoft Office.

10. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

iWorks doesnt have an autosave function, so big potential for lost work.
    i STILL cant believe this:mad:

otherwise i find it much easier to make nice looking documents and presentations with iWorks

11. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, this does not apply to all colleges. Specifically those colleges who did not separate the corporate bookstores and technology sales department.