MS Office problems in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wongiranger, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Wongiranger macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, MS Office 2004 for Mac v 11.5.5 keeps crashing MacBook 2Ghz 2Gb RAM. Frequently happens during simple Excel column totaling or Powerpoint formatting. No problems (yet:rolleyes:) in Word.

Previously worked without problem in Leopard.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas? Please don't tell me to switch to iWork:)

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Check with Microsoft regarding compatibility. That is an old version.....2008 is the current version. Maybe you should update. Expecting outdated software to work with new versions of Mac OS X doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

S-

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

yup. i had that problem. with all the updates for it and everything.

ive bought iwork. its a lot better. trust me.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Is it only with specific documents? Have you noticed anything in common with the files that you see this issue with?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Forced my hand

So, I was running Office 2004, installed SL and immediately began running into issues. Consistent crashes, major lag while typing which is very distracting etc... So, I uninstalled Office. I already had iWork '09 and was working into using it.

I'm so glad I did, I gained nearly 6 gigs of HD space and Pages works great, I was already a hardcore Keynote guy and numbers is fine for my limited spreadsheet needs/skills.

Both of my machines feel "snappier"! I'm glad I didn't drop more $$$ on Office '08 or the soon to arrive Office '10.

Coachingguy

6. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I'm an iWork fan myself. But I also run Office 2008 for certain documents and it runs pretty well in SL. I'd recommend getting that if you don't want iWork.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well sure, if you don't need true cross-platform compatibility then the iWork suite is fine.

But some of us simply have no choice as iWork really sucks in a world dominated by Windows and that "Office" platform. Even Office 2008 for the mac sucks because of no VB and no macros but it'll have to get us by.

8. Dry Rot macrumors member

Is this just a couple of people with problems, or are there real problems running Office 2004 on Snow Leopard?

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And there you have the major difference between the Microsoft and the Apple world --- Microsoft understands the meaning of the words "backward compatibility"...

10. Beaverfish macrumors regular

11. Beaverfish macrumors regular

12. alFR macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's why they're stuck with outdated crap like the Registry.

13. Dry Rot macrumors member