MS Office; Re AutoUpdate & Updating Elimination

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Robert4, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Robert4 macrumors 6502

Hello,

Regarding MS Office "Auto Update":

Due to the incredible slow opening speeds of WORD and Excel,
    I downloaded it per suggestions, and have it set to "Manual".

Is this the best I can do with "disabling" this AutoUpdate which i don't need, or want ?

Is there a way of disabling it or eliminating any and all updating, or is this the best that one can do ?

Thanks,
    B.

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

What version of Office? Are you running the latest 16.18? Auto Update vewrsion?

3. Robert4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Sr. Citizen now, and frankly not too sharp with this.

I downloaded the AutoUpdater from MS a day ago, so undoubtedly the latest.

Re Office, I bought it a few months ago when I bought my iMac, so probably the latest also.
    It is: OFFICE, Home and Student, 2016

This incredibly slow opening of WORD and Excel is really more than annoying.
    No other software I have on Mac requires anywhere near the time thse two OFFICE products do.
    Would sure like to find a way of speeding it up.

Thanks for help; appreciate it,
    Bob

4. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

Office has always been slow. Still running 2008 here although I have 2011 and ran it when 2008 was unusable (Snow Lion through Yosemite).

I would not disable Auto Update. Placing it on Manual Update is fine. Check it about once a month and, if an update is recommended, run it at your convenience.

Dreading the day I have to update to the latest. I expect that to happen next year when 32bit goes away for good.

I don't know about 2016/365 but earlier versions of Office hate App Nap. Try disabling that and see if it helps.
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable-app-nap-mac-os-x/

The latest version is Office 2019, released Sept 18. If on 365 Subscription, you get it as a regular update. If not, it's an upgrade—check with MS to see if your 2016 purchase was recent enough.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...ce-2019-is-now-available-for-windows-and-mac/