MS Office: Uninstall or Appzapper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peterdevries, Jun 11, 2008.

1. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Dear All,

I want to remove office 2008 from my system in favor of open office.

Can anyone give any recommendations on whether it is better to use AppZapper or the MS uninstall app that is delivered with office?

Thanks,

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

for this uninstall i would definitely use the MS Office Uninstaller, as opposed to AppZapper.

My reasoning is that Office has a fairly complex install (installing fonts etc,) and I doubt that AppZapper is intellegent enough to find all of these files.

The Office uninstaller was designed to do so.

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Most definitely the MS uninstaller. Appzapper usually only gets preference files and support folders. Office leaves stuff scattered hither and yon that Appzapper won't find in a month of Sundays. I would know, I uninstalled this very thing 3 times today. The only thing it leaves is a metadata folder, the Microsoft updater that's in your app folder, and another folder in within your documents folder. Use Appzapper on the updater.

4. peterdevries thread starter macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Thanks a lot!

bye bye MS Office, hello OpenOffice ;)

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

If you're going with Oo_O, get the Aqua beta. Otherwise you'll have to use X11, and that's no fun. But I find that NeoOffice is better and less prone to crashes.

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

any of those two free office suites support vba on spreadsheets?