MS Office update produces a different language when asked to enter OS X password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Padaung, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Hi, I've just downloaded the most recent MS Office 2011 14.3.8 update. I got all the way through the installation process as normal, but when I got to the enter your password for OS X bit, this came up. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

"Installer probeert nieuwe software te installeren. Type your password to allow this."

Then the usual Name: and Password: boxes.

I would normally expect to only see English. For now, I stopped at this screen and didn't complete the installation.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Wow that's weird. Just completed the update and everything came up English.

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

To me, what's especially weird is that it's a mix of 2 languages --Dutch and English, rather than just one or the other.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I ran into that a couple of years ago. In my case it was Japanese, and I put it down to having previously launched Word with the OS language set to Japanese. Have you ever used Dutch on your system?

5. Padaung thread starter macrumors 6502

Padaung

Thanks for the replies. I've never used Dutch anywhere on the computer (and thanks for identifying the language - I was curious!). How weird...

I'm about to try the install again - I'll have to close all applications, will report back :)

6. Padaung thread starter macrumors 6502

Padaung

After rebooting before trying the re-install. It still showed the one message with the same mixture of two languages.

I just carried on with the installation this time, put it down to a weird quirk rather than anything else.

All seems fine - fingers crossed!

7. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

That's good to hear that you got everything installed & working correctly. The Dutch sentence was nothing onerous, just stating that "Installer is attempting to install new software". Probably what it would have stated in English if things hadn't gotten oddly jumbled.