MS OS installed via Bootcamp/rEFIT. How do I run within MAC OS X?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OatmealRocks, Aug 8, 2009.

1. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2009
    Currently I have Mac OS X and MS Vista & XP installed. I used rEFIT and am able to boot to which ever OS I want. I don't have experience in Parallel or VMware. My question is.. I would like to run a MS OS when I am in MAC OS X?

I DL and installed parallel. Parallel however requires me to install MS OS in order to create a new installation. I do not want to do this as I have successfully installed and configured Vista and XP. Am I doing this right?

What software or procedure do I need to do in order to run MS OS while I am in MAC OS X?

Thank you.
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Parallels and VM Ware Fusion are able to read the Boot Camp partition and start the Windows residing there as a Virtual Machine.

Look into the manual/help/documentation of theVM tool of your choice.

Nitpickicking: it's Mac OS X and Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, not MAC OS X and MS OS.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    If you are running Parallels, then you install MS-DOS within Parallels. I am not aware of a distribution of MS-DOS that shipped on CD. Therefore, you will need to install from floppies. This means that you need a USB floppy drive. There is an alternative. You may try the opensource MS-DOS clone, FreeDOS.
  4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Feb 25, 2003
    Cold beer land
    Thats 3 OSs. Not sure how to do what you want.
    But ...
    Possibly ... you could install one into a Boot Camp partition. One MS into another partition, but not runnable from within OS X.
    Or install one into a Parallels machine. But only accessible from OS X.