MS Outlook and battery life

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sfscott, Dec 1, 2016.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I use Outlook as a mail client for a number of reasons. I notice that it sucks battery big-time. Looking in activity monitor, it's number is 48-50, while the next highest impacting app was 2.

Is this a unique issue to my and my config, or is Outlook a notorious battery hog? Can I do anything to reduce its thirst?

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

I've noticed that Outlook 2016 does use more system resources than I feel comfortable with, I rarely leave it running in the background.

A few months ago I ran Little Snitch when Outlook was running and found that Outlook was polling each account every 2 minutes, synchronizing folders every 4 minutes, and checking for email every 15 minutes - I set the latter setting in Outlook's Preferences, but the first two activities' timing can't be changed AFAIK. In addition to Outlook's activities, an app embedded in the Outlook app Package - "Office365ServiceV2" - was also pinging the MS subscription server fairly often.

My "fix" was to buy a cheap ATTWS Lumia 640 and install a Win 10 ROM on it after unlocking it (via Windows Insider's Fast Ring) - I just use it on wifi and leave the email client running for notifications for my 3 O365 accounts or to run Outlook only when I'm connected to a power supply.