MS Planning 360 Slim?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Mar 18, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Makes sense - with the Economy, console manufacturers will lengthen the life of their consoles, and try harder to make them cheaper to manufacture.

Actually, recently, the XBox and the Gamecube are the only consoles in recent history that didn't have a newer, smaller, version...

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think for xmas with a Natal launch it will completely refresh the 360 brand and allow them to keeps sales going without actually offering a lower retail price (whilst simultaneously allowing cheaper manufacture which off set's the cost of the inevitably bundled 'Natal' camera).

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Despite owning an Elite, I'd jump right to a 360 Slim - but only if it was considerable quieter. Even with using HDD installed games the 360 is loud, doubly annoying when watching Sky.
    But then with a smaller size, I guess heat becomes even a bigger issue. Still, one can hope....

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

On the contrary. The new gpu/CPU is together and both 45nm meaning they are a lot less power hungry, and seeing as though it's the gpu which is the bain culprit of RROD syndrome, this is good news indeed.

I'll end up getting one with a Natal no doubt. I wonder what it will feel like being post-natal ? Will we get depression.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Arcade units are already $130 here in Canadia so I would believe it.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Interesting, I hope(I really do) they reduced the heat being emitted from the console to wipe out RROD because through all the revisions they had with the present 360 RROD/E74 still plagues the console.

Are they allowing regular HDD to be used with the 360 because that would be awesome.

Bless

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yeah, but then they still may use the infernally noisy DVD drive...

A drop to a combined 45nm chip may drop temps, but I wouldn't have thought in such a magnitude to allow a massive reduction in fan speeds - it may run 5C cooler, but that'd only be a few hundred rpm at best. In a way similar to the PS3 slim I guess - it's a little quieter, but not massively, and most of that is due to a total redesign of the cooling system.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If this happens then I may get one for a bedroom console. There's no way I can keep my current one in my room since it's so bloody noisy. I hope that rumoured internal drive exists though just so I don't have to latch an external drive on or use the planned USB storage.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Ahh dont tell me about how noisy the 360 is!

A guy in the room next to me has a 360 and I can hear it rumble thorugh the wall when Im trying to go to sleep!