MS Publisher Nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TammyLPI, Feb 18, 2008.

1. TammyLPI macrumors newbie

I have customers submit jobs continuously in MS Publisher - I keep trying to explain to them that we cannot use Publisher we are Mac - my boss can't seem to understand that I can't use ALL programs that are out there. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to open Publisher files or is that just not going to happen? Also, I have tried to explain to people that they can save as a .pdf and they have no clue what that means. People think if they can create it on their home computer and can print it on their inkjet that a "REAL PRINTER" can just plug in their cd and print. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

If you have access to the software, you could try installing it in Wine or Crossover as a quick google shows Publisher 2003 works well in wine. Alternatively, you could use Parallels/VMWare to use the software but that requires a copy of Windows. There is no Publisher Viewer available, so you need access to the software or to have your clients save as a PDF.

Steve

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of job do you do? From long experience, I wouldn't trust clients to create PDFs that are going to press or will be used any print-based workflow, especially from Publisher.

Personally, in a studio or prepress situation, if I had lots of Publisher files coming in, I'd invest in a standard Windows box, install Publisher on it, hook it up with a KVM switch, and Acrobat Pro (for Distiller) and use that to setup or fix artwork that comes in and make your own PDFs. Or use a virtualisation solution like Parallels to run Windows apps.

I wouldn't use Bootcamp in a studio; too time-consuming and inflexible by constantly rebooting.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Others have already pointed out that Publisher is a closed Microsoft format that nothing else can open. However, you don't help you cause by blaming the Mac for not being able to open Publisher files. To the uniformed, this reflects badly on the Mac. It also reflects badly on you because you are using an "inferior" platform.

You are the professional. Explain to your clients that Publisher is not a professional application. They should switch to an application on your approved list.

5. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Customers usually do not adapt to their providers' needs. Normally business runs the opposite way. I advise you to follow Blue Velvet's advice.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In some business, yes. However, it is not true in many businesses, particularly technology-based businesses. Many customers rely on their vendors to educate them. For the sake of sanity, educating certain customers is preferable to the time spent correcting their mistakes. People who run publishing houses can tell you some horror stories. My favorite is about the guy who brought in a novel that he had written in a single cell of an Excel spreadsheet.

7. Orangelover macrumors newbie

your post had the most applicable solutions, unfortunately, none work for me. :confused:

I am one of the stupid pc members who used pub once upon a time and now have seen the light. My problem is: I have a very large document (basically a book) that I need to convert to some, any, program that I can use my mac to edit and produce. I did this project several years ago on MS Pub 2000(?). Your links are all useful if the project is not this BIG - like mine.

Do you have any other ideas, short of printing the program and then scanning it into my mac? For obvious reasons, this really won't work ... at least I don't think it will.

Thanks for any help that you or others will provide. I am a brand new Mac owner and new to the site. I look forward to learning from you all.

8. i3iz macrumors member

atleast with a pdf you can extract each page and place it in indesign.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

i3iz is correct. You don't print to paper, you print to PDF or use the online PDF conversion service. Caveat: Make sure that whatever route you take embeds the fonts used in your publication. This will result in a PDF file which can be placed and edited in just about any standard layout or graphics app.

10. Orangelover macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! That did the trick. It's not perfect, can't amend the pdf, but it is better than I thought I could do.

Thanks a lot and great site!