MS Publisher Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by twfmike, May 29, 2008.

1. twfmike macrumors newbie

Just switched to Macs.

On my PC I used to use MS Publisher to put together fairly simple files with images and text that I could convert to pdf and e-mail or have as downloads on my website. Publisher was a bit crap but did what I needed. What's the simplest / cheapest alternative on the Mac? And will it open publisher documents?

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

This question comes up a bit. Unfortunately, there is not a good way for importing Publisher files on the Mac. You could save your Publisher documents as PDF files if you wanted to open/print on your Mac, though.

As for Mac replacements, Apple's Pages app does a nice job for simple layout tasks. Microsoft Word for Mac 2008 also has a new page layout feature that offers similar functionality.

Professional designers will use (expensive) apps such as Adobe InDesign and QuarkXpress.

Take a look at this thread for more info.

3. Ollie64 macrumors newbie

There's a free alternative for the Mac called NeoOffice which runs quite well and should be able to manage pdf tasks nicely.
    Then there's iWork from Apple which costs $79, which has a presentation app named Keynote which can make some impressive pages which you can save to PDF.
    Finally, if you don't mind spending a bit more, there's Microsoft Office 2008(from $126.99). The Home and Student edition includes Word, which has a helpful layout feature, which would probably be very useful.

Sorry but I couldn't find out if any of these can open Publisher files. NeoOffice might, you can try it out for yourself. I doubt that iLife can, but you can try the trial. Office may be able to, I don't know (unfortunately no trial available here)

Anyway, i hope this helps and good luck finding the right software:D

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Unfortunately nothing opens Publisher files (*.pub) other than Publisher itself. Even Office 2007 for Windows will not open Publisher files. :mad: What was Microsoft thinking? :confused:

The best alternative in my opinion, especially if you wish to keep it inexpensive is to purchase iWork 2008. It includes an application called "Pages" which is not only a very good word processor but also a nice simple layout program for such things like flyers, bulletins, banners, etc. I purchased a copy from Amazon for $69.00 and it included free shipping. However, if you wish to try before you buy, you can download a trial copy from Apple.

Regards.

5. pianos101 macrumors regular

Sorry to reopen this thread.... I'm in the same boat, but have a little different question. My aunt really wants to get a Mac, but she needs to use Publisher files from an organization that she's in where different people will be doing different things.

I've looked at the publishing templates in Word 2008, and I think it would work pretty well. Here's the thing you guys might be able to answer: Since saving in Office 08 on OS X is a .docx file, it will open fine with all layout attached in Word 2007 for Wint? Also, does anyone know if Word 2007 has the same publishing templates that the Mac version does, or is this stuff all in Publisher 07 (which we stupidly don't get)? If all of this works, then I can tell her/them to use word 2007 and 2008, and drop publisher...