MS Remote Desktop and VPN issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tbwamp, Jun 1, 2009.

1. tbwamp macrumors newbie

For complicated reasons, I would like to use my PPC iMac running 10.4 to remote to my XP laptop using microsoft remote desktop for mac (both at the same physical location) and then VPN into my office. I am able to get the connection between iMac and XP laptop working without difficulty, but once I start the VPN (Cisco VPN client) the desktop freezes. Is there some reason why I should not be able to do this?

2. laeeqhumam macrumors newbie

MS Remote Desktop and VPN issue

Nothing strange because keeping Mac in the link, you cannot use two remote access applications, be it RDC/ARD+VPN, RDC/ARD+VNC, VPN+VNC. I have tried it many times in office. I think two different protocols can't run together.
    May be there is some workaround, lets wait for a reply from an expert.

3. mmcm888 macrumors newbie

You problem may be that you Cisco VPN client is preventing 'split tunnelling'. If the VPN client has split tunnelling disabled, then once the VPN starts, all traffic is sent via the VPN and so no traffic can get from your XP laptop to your Mac. You should check with your VPN admin.

M.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Pretty much what mmcm888 said I think, nothing to do with protocols as laeeqhumam suggested.

Generally speaking any VPN client when active will drop your computer off your local network as it becomes virtually (VPN!) part of your remote network.