MS Server 2008 compatible with R-MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DustinT, Jun 18, 2012.

1. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I've got to attend a MS conference soon and I'm wondering if I can BootCamp Server 2008 r2 and have it work with Vt-x features. I'll need the wireless drivers, and Vt-x.... So, most of the lovely hardware will go to waste. I just need to see if the rest of it will work. Anyone tried this yet?

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Well my understanding with bootcamp is you actually boot up into the OS. It's not a virtual machine so VT-x is irrelevant.

Installing windows server 2008

3. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yes, you are correct that it's not a virtual machine. However my use of Server 2008 requires that I install the hyper v role and I'll be hosting server 2012. This is for training only at the conference, I'd NEVER use this for production.

Thanks for your response though, my original post must have been a little misleading, eh?

4. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Just a quick follow up. I tried this last night and had great results. All I needed to do was use the BootCamp utility. The same BootCamp drivers used for Windows 7 have enabled all the hardware features in Server 2008 r2. I did run into an issue where the installer for BootCamp wouldn't run for some reason. To bypass this, go into the WindowSupport folder, find the 'drivers' subfolder and run the application there suitable for your environment. That begins the same installation process as normal, so it's no big deal.

I have full use of the Retina Display and the Nvidia GPU seems to be working perfectly.

Also, I'm able to run Hyper-V server on this installation which means the EFI is enabling the Vt-x features of the CPU.

A+ Apple, well done.