MS Silverlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eldiablojoe, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I know this is probably a pretty basic question for the Mac OS X experts on here, but I thought I'd throw it out.

I downloaded some software onto my SnowLeopard MacBook. I don't remember if it was VLC or FireFox or Evernote, but something that also installed Microsoft's Silverlight onto my MacBook. Does Silverlight even do anything on the Mac?

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, check out MacUpdate

If I remember, Netflix uses it for me

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Some websites use Silverlight. E.g. one Finnish news site uses Silverlight for video content. Before that it used something else which was Windows only.

4. simsaladimbamba

VLC does not have an installer, as does Firefox and Evernote. They are simply dragged and dropped from a downloaded and mounted disk image (.dmg), therefore they couldn't have Silverlight installed, they don't even come with it.
    Most probably you installed it directly when you have been asked to do so in order to watch a webpage with Silverlight content, which is MS' version Flash. It will not do anything while it is not used though.

http://www.silverlight.net/

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you installed Flip4Mac, then you also installed Silverlight. If memory serves, then it is also installed with Office 2011. Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to a question that no one asked, but it is harmless to the best of my knowledge.

6. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ah-hah, yes, I did install Flip4Mac, and recently updated it. Thanks Mr.Me.

7. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ohhh, what about Growl? Does that software program serve any useful purpose or is it crap-ware also? I keep getting notices that new updates are available.

Thanks Gurus!

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Growl is great piece of software. Best notification app for Mac, works brilliantly with Adium for example. You can disable the notification from System Preferences > Growl or set it for only certain apps

9. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Growl is awesome and very helpful to have. It is a simple notification system that Mac OS X by itself is lacking.

If you have it, you will find a preference pane for it in System Preferences.