Ms SQL for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erichkooi, Aug 4, 2011.

1. erichkooi macrumors member

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't believe so. There is a version of Sybase ASE. MS SQL Server was forked from Sybase some years ago so there are now significant differences.

3. ianma macrumors newbie

Install it on a Windows box (physical or virtual) and remotely connect to it with a third party client like Squirrel.

Though it really depends on what you want to do with the DB; i.e. develop against it or host a production environment.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

4. erichkooi thread starter macrumors member

I have existing MS SQL DB on my Windows server which running Coldfusion in office and I would like to replicate web application server in iMac.

Coldfusion is supported in Mac and so far I cannot find Ms SQL. Is there any database program that I able to simulate as Ms SQL in Mac?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That will depend on exactly how MS T-SQL specific your code is. As I said above MS SQL Server was not something MS wrote from scratch: they paid Sybase to fork ASE. So you could try ASE as it's the closest to SQL Server but since the fork the products have diverged.

6. Steelgrave macrumors member

Steelgrave

The short answer is no.

Probably your quickest option would be to get parallels/vmware and virtualize a windows instance on your imac and run it all there.

MS SQL Server was forked from Sybase back in the mid 90's, and both have had complete rewrites since then so migrating to that would be hit or miss at best.

I wasn't aware Coldfusion was supported by anything anymore, can't remember the last time I saw a site using it.

If you really want to run a website off an iMac, this might be a good learning opportunity to jump into mysql or postgresql. Both are free and should easily handle what you're going to throw at them.

7. MonkeyCookie macrumors newbie

Microsoft definitely does not have a version of SQL Server for Macs. They would have to rewrite the entire product in order to do that. The fact that they also own Windows makes them reluctant release their products for other operating systems.

Really, the only significant software they release for Macs is Microsoft Office. I'm guessing they do that because it is very profitable for them and keeps people from migrating to some other office software. I imagine that they probably would release SQL Server for Macs if there was strong demand for it, but that demand simply isn't there.

8. wpotere Guest

Why not install MySQL and then port the database to it? SQL is SQL, there will be a few small differences but the database and data can be migrated.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Lol! ANSI SQL is standardised. Transact-SQL the dialect used by SQL Server and Sybase has a massive number of non-standard functions and syntax issues. The conversion of complex stored procedures across SQL dialects could be a very expensive and time consuming process.

10. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to retire the windows server completely? If not, there's no reason that the ColdFusion application on your iMac can't just continue to access the existing server.

11. wpotere Guest

True but if that is the direction that he is wanting to go he will need to port it as there is nothing to help him with this. The only other option is to load Bootcamp up run a VM with MSSQL and hope that performance won't be an issue.

12. erichkooi thread starter macrumors member