MS stops Live for piraters

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apparently MS is finally doing something about people pirating games. They've kicked people off of Live if they use pirated games (supposedly). I'm sure people will complain, but if this is done correctly and doesn't hit people who have been using their Xbox correctly I don't really see a problem with it. People need to pay for what they get. Just b/c pirating has become commonplace doesn't mean it's not stealing. And if you're complaining about things being region locked, I will fully admit that it sucks, but it's MS's sandbox, they can do what they want with it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8354166.stm

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Good!

On a side note have they managed to crack the PS3 yet?

4. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Wow, no kidding. I bet that would be a great defense in court for someone who broke into an art gallery and stole a bunch of paintings. "You're honor, I know it's not too costly to once in awhile pay for a painting, but there are so many good ones that I want, I can't afford to pay for those. But I want them! I've probably saved thousands by just stealing them. It's wrong for me to be punished for this, because I was just saving money."

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I wish people would get the terms right. It is copyright infringement not theft.

Still I'm glad Microsoft are doing something about it. It might reduce the number of hideously annoying people on Xbox Live.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Are 360s sold as a loss leader? If so, I'm sure Microsoft would be thrilled if these gamers abandoned the platform and went to Sony - would save them money! :)

This story does seem to echo Apple's battle vs jailbreaking (trying to crack down on technologies which can enable software piracy). Is there any legitimate use for chipped 360s?

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No they are made and sold in profit these days.... :)

(excluding the RROD costs)

Also since when is this NEW news ? Microsoft systematically role out these blockers every 6 months or so that blacklist LIVE user accounts that are found to be using pirate software. Unlike the Wii firmware updates, at least M$ doesn't intentionally try and brick their consoles (they have a habit of doing that themselves anyway ;) )

I really pity you Raz........ toss**r ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

That's a mighty big exclusion! And exclude the many 360s whose DVD drives failed too (mine's been replaced twice, once for each issue).

I actually find it quite funny. It's so difficult to have any sympathy for him, you almost wonder if it's part of an astroturfing campaign by MS to discredit piraters (errr. pirates? piratees?)

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I don’t tend to get worked up over other people’s copyright infringements. So, this doesn’t really concern me.

I was hoping they were banning people from Live that use modded controllers! Now, that’s something that screws Live up.

10. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Thieves deserve every ounce of punishment they get.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

12. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

This is why I opt to buy games instead of pirate them like I did with my original xbox. If a game is good enough to be played for a while, it's worth the buy.

13. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Exactly, and you can always rent anything you aren't sure about. I used to use one of the online rental services (like LoveFilm) to get games I wasn't sure about. It only cost £20 per month, so if you got one decent game it was worth it. All completely legitimate. If people can't afford things they just need to be a bit more careful and put some thought into where their money goes, no need to pirate games.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this is why you buy games used

cheaper yet not illegal