MS Word 2008 on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Eseifan, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Eseifan macrumors newbie

Yesterday I installed Lion on my iMac 24'' 2.4GH Intel Core 2 Duo machine and everything seems to work just fine. Except for MS Word 2008. It keeps crashing. Some documents, big ones, 30+ pages with lots of formatting, are just impossible to open, they crash the programme right away. All the documents in question were created on the same Word 2008 on the same machine under Snow Leopard.

Any idea of a fix or suggestions?

2. Eseifan thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea at least if MS Word 2011 has similar problmes.

3. jcu macrumors newbie

I have Word version 14.1.2, no problems with Lion.

4. Eseifan thread starter macrumors newbie

I have managed to pinpoint the problem, I think. MS Word on Lion has a problem with files exported from Pages 09 containing footnotes. Unfortunately I have no other computers on which I can test this to see if it is my machine or general bug. So if people could help with that it would be great. Here's what you have to do (you need to have Pages 09 and MS Word 2011 or 2008):

Create a document in Pages, add in text and a couple of footnotes. Save and then using the "export" menu save a Word version of the doc and try to open it with Word. In my experience Word will crash every time you try to open that document (the same operation worked fine under Snow Leopard).

Now if you remove the footnotes from the Pages file before exporting it, it will open in Word no problem. You can then add footnotes in Word as usual without problems.