MS Word 2008 - recovering lost audio notes.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sheperdcohen, Aug 9, 2008.

1. sheperdcohen, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

sheperdcohen macrumors newbie

As I'm sure many of you know, MS Word 2008 has a WONDERFUL little option on the Mac version, called NOTEBOOK view. You can access this by clicking view and switching to the NOTEBOOK option. This feature is an absolute GOD-SEND for people like me who like to take notes while recording long and boring lectures which cause rapid flare-ups of my ADHD.

Now unfortunately, if you're already familiar with this feature, you're also familiar with how often this stupid piece of ***** program likes to freeze and crash at the end of your lecture, basically ruining your chances at the fabled A+. If you're lucky, you saved your document in the beginning so that the auto-recover feature could kick in and recover maybe 80% of your audio/notes, IF YOU'RE LUCKY, but most of the time, YOU'RE SCREWED.

I researched heavily and found no answer other than an apology from microsoft accompanied by "the finger" basically restating their knowledge of the problem. Lucky for me, I stumbled onto a little hint that had little to do with my specific problem.

here it is:

OS X AUTOMATICALLY RECOVERS TEMPORARY FILES AFTER A RESTART AND STICKS THEM IN THE TRASH BIN!!!!!!!

YES!! THATS REALLY ALL THERE IS TO IT!!

YOU RESTART... AND THEN OPEN THE TRASH AND LOOK FOR THE LARGE (for me 40/+ MB) FILE AND OPEN IT WITH VLC OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU USE!!!!

WHY NOBODY ELSE FIGURED THIS OUT, I WILL NEVER KNOW.

:apple:

2. kennedyt macrumors newbie

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I was sick to my stomach after this happened for the 3rd time this month and I lost a 2-hour lecture. I feel like the happiest person on the planet now that I have recovered a good 90% of it!

3. z none macrumors newbie

Thank you!

this helped a lot! even after i had cleared my trash with some other files... i still had not restarted since my Word crashed on me. After reading your post, i rebooted, crossed my fingers and voila! there was a recovered files folder in my trash! wow, would have never thought of this. thank yoU! i recovered an important audio recording. never using Word again for audio recordings!!!

4. jacked18 macrumors newbie

hey i did this and i was only able to get back part of the recording and the other part was 9mb corrupted audio, were you able to get the full thing back?