Ms Word 2010 to Pages converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I have a quick question, i want to use Pages as my way to type everything. I know i can export a pages document i type to a .doc file and then open it in ms word. But after it becomes a .doc file and then i use ms word on the pc in school and make some changes can i then convert it to a pages file and type it on my mac? I would think i need a converter of some sort...:confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

really? wow i read that page an completely missed it. Thank you very much, what about keynote and numbers are those compatible as well?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you spend a few minutes reading the iWork site I linked to, you'll find all your answers.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

To answer your question, yes they are.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Then why would anyone buy Microsoft office for mac? lol

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

IDK, the main reason I chose MS Office for Mac 2011 over iWork '09 is because it cost me less ($35 with education discount). I ended up buying iWork anyway. However, I use Office more simply because I have to use its Windows counterpart at work.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

I looked online, you can't buy ms word separate from office can you? With education discount it was 100$ opposed to like 200$

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Unfortunately, no. MS Office is sold as an application suite, as iWork was, in fact, before the introduction of the Mac App Store. I was lucky to get both the university discount, as well as IT discount, so I got both Windows and OS X versions for $70, pretty sweet considering I'd have to pay close to $400 to get these.

Try this Microsoft education website:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/dd861349.aspx
    They offer insane discounts on Microsoft software. For example, Windows 7 is free to download, and only $24 to have the installation DVD shipped.

Attached Files:

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Because the conversion isn't perfect. Often, formatting is not properly carried over because of differences in the two programs, or just problems with the conversion. While not important if all you need is content, for those working in situations where the formatting is important, much better (though still not perfect) results are achieved by using Office for Mac.

jW

11. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ill remember this site for next year as most of the schools i am applying to are on the site, thanks. I decided to get pages as all i need is something to go back and forth plus its cheeper.

----------

Ah good point ill keep that in mind when I'm working, I'm not doing anything to fancy anyway.

12. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

The main reason I have Office on the Mac is for Excel. While I like Numbers better, many functions I rely on either are not present or do not work the same as they do in Excel. In addition, the conversion to Excel in Numbers doesn't work 100%, so I have to do a lot of fiddling to get everything to work properly.

Do all the work in Excel, and you don't have any conversion problems at all.

I still use Pages and Keynote over Word and Powerpoint... I just like those programs better.

13. Sifta macrumors newbie

Excel not Numbers

I couldn't agree more with that reply about Excel, Numbers is one of the few under-performing Mac only programs and struggles with most serious data crunching while Excel cruises and offers much more extensive functionality. I similarly prefer Keynote and Pages to the somewhat less stable Powerpoint and Word - many a late night document or slideshow preparation has just disappeared in front of my eyes.