Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
One of my employees was typing a project, and hit an unknow combination of keystrokes causing the computer to lock up. He rebooted and started the app again, but now it has hundreds of small squares on the screen. The file was found, but appears to be corrupted. When the app is opened the squares are still everywhere, so a new file cannot easily be created.

Has this ever happened to anyone, and what is the solution?

Thanks in advance.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
bigboy99 said:
One of my employees was typing a project, and hit an unknow combination of keystrokes causing the computer to lock up. He rebooted and started the app again, but now it has hundreds of small squares on the screen. The file was found, but appears to be corrupted. When the app is opened the squares are still everywhere, so a new file cannot easily be created.

Has this ever happened to anyone, and what is the solution?

Thanks in advance.
The small squares are probably unmapped characters in the document font. Make sure that the font is the one you want. Delete any extra characters. No biggie.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Your suggestion was not able to remedy the issue. I'm not sure if it's a Word problem or a Mac problem, but I suspect the former.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I have not had this happen, but in the last 6 months my wife and I have had serious glitches using Word on OSX. I have the newest of both softwares and all are updated but I have had issues (on two separate computers) where I can't save documents, open certain ones, etc. All word docuements. It often locks up upon saving or opening windows, etc. Very buggy- which I guess is all I can expect from MS.:mad:

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
MS Office runs okay on my PB, but the issue my employee is having almost sounds like he accidently enabled a macro, and there is no way to know what it is or how to un-enable it.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
call Microsoft. They were somewhat helpful to me once tho their PC speak was hard to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.