MS word for Mac OS x crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scottsdomain, Jul 13, 2009.

1. scottsdomain macrumors member

Has anyone else had an issue with MS Word crashing?

I have the latest Word 2008, and latest Leopord installed...

Frustrating it crashed twice and I loose all my work.

2. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

well i had MS Office for Mac. then i decided to use some common sense and bought iWork. only use office for excel, and even still not that keen on it. although many more features than numbers

but for documents and presentations pages and keynote are simply the best

so my solution is to pay £35 and buy iWork

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Happens to me...that's why I have autosave turned onto ridiculousness...

4. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

nope. i use excel, powerpoint and word a lot in an academic and research setting. never used iwork and i don't need to. i've never had my proggies crash on me. tried reinstalling? i currently have all my progs updated and i haven't had a hitch.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Tell me more about your crashes. Does it always crash on the same document?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Buy iwork...I have the same problem with MS Office crashing all the time. I think they do that on purpose to send negative signals about buying a mac.

7. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i some how doubt microsoft, how ever bad some of the products are, would do something so ridiculous like that. if they are, and news spread of that, i think many people would see MS going down in peoples views.

although because it is such a badly made program, you cant really tell the difference between deliberately bad, and just badly made-bad:rolleyes:

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yeah, which is why a Microsoft employee who is part of the Mac software team just happened to post directly above you saying that they will gladly offer assistance :rolleyes:

9. Scylax macrumors regular

Constantly...

I use Word and it crashes loads. It's so slow too, even with 2.4GHz processor and 4 GB RAM. It drives me nuts. Lately I've taken to using Open Office and Scrivener instead. It's a pity, because although I hate the Windows OS, I've always quite liked Office, and it has some great features, but I'm really starting to think it's not worth the hassle.

10. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

So your saying because they offer support for their products (basically required) that they don't make a bad product? So every product with a support team is good? Just because they want to help with the problem doesn't mean they didn't cause the problem.

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

LOL. Ever heard of AppleCare? Genius Bar? Apple Phone Support? Thank God everything Apple makes never has any problems. :rolleyes:

@OP
    I would use disk utility and verify/repair privileges and see if that helps at all.

Also, pm Nadyne if it doesn't.

12. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

When did I say all of apple's products always work?

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

You never did.

I was pointing out the ridiculousness of your previous statement and argument trying to justify it.

EDIT: Your post below shows you are still missing the point. Just because a product has a problem, isolated or not, does not mean that they created that problem on purpose. And the fact that a company has product support does not mean that the company creates problems on purpose.

So using your argument: any product with problems (whether its a crappy product or not), is created by the company's producer on purpose, and the proof is that the company has a support team. :confused::rolleyes:

14. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Thanks...so you don't think Windows could make an unoptimized version of Microsoft Office to give to mac users thereby saving them a lot of money? They created Windows Vista originally as a horribly buggy OS, why do you think they made Office for Mac so much better?

15. scottsdomain thread starter macrumors member

Avoidance tactic!

When I posted it crashed three times loosing my work. (Luckily it was only about 15 minutes of work!)

I started making my updates in textpad, then copy and paste over to the word file. I have not had a problem since.

I am not using MS Word on a daily basis so I will probably be okay. (I could use the office 2007 version with crossover, perhaps that would be more stable!)

I am now saving the file about every ten minutes followed by a close and re-open of the document.

I have switched to Mac last October, and I do find many of these sorts of issues. OS X is definitely not perfect, but it is a pretty good alternative to Windows.

16. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

You don't mention what version of Office 2008 you are running, so I would first ask: Have you run the MS software update installer? Perhaps there has been one or more software updates released which would address your crashing. I would start there so you do not need to cut and paste from another program.

EDIT: I now read where you say you have the "Latest" version of Word 2008. Does that mean you HAVE run the most recent updates installed or that you simply have Office 2008 installed?

17. scottsdomain thread starter macrumors member

Yes I run the updates for both OS X, and Office 2008.

I have been keeping them up to date.

18. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Hmmm...I must admit I don't have these issues with Office 2004 or 2008 on my machines, so there must be something else going on.

A few suggestions:
    1) Try uninstalling Office using the MS uninstaller that comes bundled with the suite. Then re-install, do the updates and see if that helps. It may take the better part of an hour, but it could be an easy fix if there was a quirk install originally.

2) More of a question - Have you used a program like XSlimmer or Monolingual to remove files from the suite? Or have you manually deleted apps from the suite post-install? If so, that could be your problem and you should uninstall and do a custom re-install, deselecting language files and apps you do not want. Run the updates, etc.

3) If these do not work, try PMing Nadyne, who posted earlier in this thread. She works for the MS MacBU and has been extremely helpful to people on these threads for a while.

Good luck and post back if something ends up working so the next person with this problem can use it as a reference.

19. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you've got a corrupted document. The Word:Mac MVPs have some instructions for tracking down corrupted documents here. There's lots of detail there. If you find that you can't track it down, you might want to post more details about your problem to the Word product forum, which is where the authors of that document hang out.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

20. mkl1027 macrumors newbie

Word started crashing after 12.2.0 update

I did the Office 2008 software update 12.2.0 the other day, and haven't been able to open Word since! Powerpoint and Excel launch fine, but when I try to open word I get a message that says that Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I'm using a macbook with OS 10.5.7, and I need word to get my work done!!

21. nadyne macrumors 6502a

When Word crashes, you should get a crash log. You can either post the whole thing here, or send it to me via PM.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

22. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I'm having the same problem, Word/Excel/Powerpoint crashes upon launch. Used to work before.