MS Word for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyinhigh, Jan 14, 2014.

1. flyinhigh macrumors member

I've upgraded from a G5 to an iMac running Mavericks. I was using Microsoft Office for Mac 2004 on my G5. Can't run it on my iMac, can't read my backed up files on external hard drive. Can I purchase just a stand alone Microsoft Word for Mac application? Will it read my old Microsoft Office (Word) documents. Getting there..I'm not a young 'un! Advice appreciated.

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I have MS Word 2011 (actually all Office, for $99 last spring). Just this week I opened some MS Word files from 1992 (MS Word 5.1) and they opened fine.

From an even older codger.:D

3. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

It doesn't look like you can buy just Word for Mac though. You have to get the whole Office suite. $139 for a home edition but there are deals out there (like exegete77 said).

Alternate idea. Find a friend with Office and have them open the file then save in a newer format that is compatible with your setup.

4. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I also owned a G4 (not 5) and MS 2004. And now have a big iMac with MS 2011. I think you have to purchase the entire office package, not just Word alone. But the important thing to you is that it will read .doc or .docx files dating back 2 decades.

5. koban4max macrumors 68000

6. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Don't...DO NOT listen to this person.

----------

Pages should be able to open and edit these files. Word and Excel in Office 2011 are fine, but Outlook for Mac is borked.

8. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Download OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice (basically the same thing). Its a free, compatible office suite.

10. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the pages pointer. i was trying to open my old .doc files directly off my external, wouldn't open. Opening pages first and reading from there is working fine, all I need. You just saved me bucks!! thanks.

11. koban4max macrumors 68000

you should. :)

12. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

Are documents saved as or created on 'pages' going to be readable by PC/Office users if I email them to them as attachments?

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Office, whether on Windows or the Mac, cannot read .pages files. They must be exported as .docx or .doc files. They are then readable by Office. Documents converted to .doc/.docx may, however, require tweaks to address formatting glitches.

Word to the Wise: Never ever assume that a document that has been converted to .doc/.docx is the finished product.