Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
Hi,
I need to understand whether based on your experience MS Word is a total disaster under Jaguar. I am still hoping something is wrong with my setup, as I need Word badly.

In any case what happens to me is that it quits suddenly very often and it makes it nearly impossible to get any serious work done.
I mean, do we have to switch to

thx for any suggestion,
giovanni

DeKa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
Have you got the v Office X.1.2 update installed? Get it from http://www.microsoft.com/mac

If you have, try trashing your Office preferences. You might lose a few customisations you'd made but I had a similar problem a month or so ago and trashing the preferences fixed it.

Make sure Word, Excel, Entourage and Powerpoint are all closed...

You'll find a Microsoft directory in /Home/Library/Preferences - trash the Microsoft directory.
Open Word again, and all should be fixed :D

Derek.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
To be honest, it works fine for me. I dont remember the last time it crashed, its been a while. I dont have any performance problems.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
OK - so far I consider these good news. Really what I was hoping to hear. How do I ceck which version I am running ? I can't remember whether this info is in the "about.." menu, like it usually is. Thx again,
giovanni

DeKa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
The Word..About doesn't actually seem to tell you exactly what version you're running.

If you just installed from the CD and that's it, you're running Office X with no updates.

Download and install it anyway... you'll probably find your problems are fixed. The X.1.2 update is supposed to improve stability with Jaguar.

Derek.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Word works great on both my macs (333MHz g3 and a 450Mhz g4)
The only problem is its super-annoyingness when it edits anything
and everything that I type. Can't stand that sometimes.

DeKa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
OK... well I bought my OfficeX from the AppleStore online and about a month or 6 weeks ago and it's Office X with no updates. I guess us Australians get old stock hey?

Derek.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
on auto editing

Scem0, you must be able to turn that off ! I know I can do it in the windoz version, haven't done so yet in the mac one, but I am positive you can do that, probably under preferences/spelling and grammar.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by scem0
Word works great on both my macs (333MHz g3 and a 450Mhz g4)
The only problem is its super-annoyingness when it edits anything
and everything that I type. Can't stand that sometimes.
Just go to the Word Meun + then preferences. Then go to edit + de-select what you want.

From that preferences panel you can stop everything from spell check to autocomplete words etc.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
giovanni, if you upgraded to jag, uninstall all of office and then re-install. do not run anything. go to MS website and get the latest update and install it. Then all should be fine. If that dont work then it looks like an OS re-install im afraid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.