Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I use MS Word on a Mac. In documents, sometimes a .doc file sent with a logo image above text will display the text, but the logo displays only as a border around an empty box. Yet when I send it to anyone else, the logo I can't see appears in the file for them.

In some .doc files, I will be able to see different logo images fine.

But about half the time, logo images will only display as an empty box.

This is creating all kinds of problems for me.

Help?

Lisa

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
This is another of Word's many bugs and problems.

Unfortunately there's a million possibilities. Who is putting the images into the document - someone on a Mac or someone on a Windows PC? What format are those images? How are they put into the document?

No doubt among many other things, the "disappearing images" issue can be caused by:
  • CMYK colour images - do not use them, use normal RGB images
  • use fully system independant images - use JPEG and GIF rather than BMP (in Windows), PICT (Mac), PDF, TIFF, or PNG format images, and do not use Quicktime compression options when saving images in some applications
  • do NOT copy paste images into a document - use the Insert Picture command in Word rather than copying the image from another application and pasting it into the Word document
  • use properly sized images - inserting a massive image (or far too high resolution image as come directly off a digital camera) and scaling it down can cause memory issues in Word and images going missing
It can also be caused by a corrupt image that was Inserted.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
hmm

Hi
thanks for taking the time to respond.

The person sending the logo was on a Mac too. It displayed fine for her, and tho I only saw an empty box, after I saved the file and sent it back, she saw the logo again... but not me. It wouldn't have been corrupted if it showed up okay for her? Or could it?

One of my other problems unrelated is that images are defaulted to save in quicktime format when downloaded, and for the life of me i can't figure out how to change it... the settings I've been able to find, it has it set to open in preview as the default.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
It will depend on what type of file the other person is inserting, or whether they are copying it from another application and pasting it into the document.

It could even be that they are inserting the picture as a link from their hard drive instead of inserting the actual picture. Obviously once they send you the document it can no longer find the image.

The other person may have a newer version of Word than your version which is causing a hiccup.

You could get her to send you just the original image file (not in a Word document) and try inserting into a new Word document on your computer, then sending that Word document back to her to see what happens.

By default, images downloaded / saved from the Internet on Macs will open in Preview, but they aren't usually "Quicktime format" or Quicktime compressed ... they're just normal web images, and Preview is just an image viewer. You can open them in other image applications like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, GraphicConverter, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.