MS Word Print and then Crash?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billmister, Nov 29, 2007.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

hey everyone has this happend to anyone else?.. Last night i completed the process of upgrading my Internal Hard drive from 160gig to 500gig. I'm happy that the whole installation went good. Now here's the dilema that i don't remember if it happend before.

My brother sends me a word document via email from his mac. I then go to the ms office web site and download a template and then make changes to it. THANK GOD i saved before i wanted to print. It was a 2 hour job. Anyway i click PRint and check check off "front page only" and "2 copies". Quality of printer Best. Then i press print, and i get a messege from word with something like it can't perform that opperation or something. Anyway i got 2 options. 1)Relaunch 2)send to apple, 3)i think close.

Anyway i relaunched it. And printed again, with same printer settings and all went well. Then i made some changes to the printed copy. Updated it on word, printed again and AGAIN, it shut down. Then i relaunched again and did the same updates to the document because i forgot to save, then preinted and it worked well. Does this happen to anyone?

Anyother thing is. once i formated my HD and installed leopard i did a first time install of leopard, but then once installed it asked to i want to transfer things from another computer or time machine external, i thought that would be cool, but do you think i should of just let it be clean installed and re install all of my apps and documents? Because all my apps preffrences and stuff was all set.

If that's the case i'm thinking about reinstalling leopard and not bringing anything from my external HD and just starting like new. Only thing i would want to back up is itunes folder and my iphoto. It would take time to do my bookmarks again and stuff, but if this is the best option i think i would have to do it to avoid future problems.

2. gglnyc macrumors newbie

MS Office crashes when printing to PDF or when printing single pages or page ranges

Whenever I try to print to PDF or print single or page ranges Word crashes. NO other application does this.

imac 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram, 10.5.1

3. Braavhart macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

I don't have any advice but I can commiserate: I am having the same trouble. Not with all files, but with one in particular that is 6MB. Whenever I try to print to pdf, it stops on p. 2 (of 277) and crashes Word. Single pages from the same document also will not print - and this also crashes word. I have used similar fonts, images, etc, on other word files and those all print to pdf, and i have been able to print to pdf earlier versions of the same document. I wonder: was this file that wouldn't print for you heavily edited beforehand? :confused:

4. gglnyc macrumors newbie

Now Works for me

I got it to work by following this suggestion found in a post.

Reset the Print System

Resetting the print system deletes all the printers and restores the print system to a "clean" state.

To do this, go to System Preferences

Go to Print and Fax

Hold down the Control key while clicking in the list of printers.

All printers will be deleted so you'll need to reinstall them.

The usb printers, if the drivers are installed, should be added automatically.

Hope this helps.

5. Braavhart macrumors newbie

thanks!

I'll try it. This makes sense, since the file itself showed no signs of errors...