MS Word problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Jul 10, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Im using MS Word here in Greece, and I seem to be having issues with it. One, does anyone know if all the fonts work with the Greek characters? Meaning, I change the system font from English to Greek, then type in word. I then go to change the font, and some thing turn into squares, lines, etc., not letters. Is there a way to download something for this? BTW, Im using it on both a Mac and Windows system. Here is an example...I would type something in Greek, change the font, and it would look like: 

The second thing is that I would save a file, to my desktop for example, and the characters would be boxes and lines again (pic below). If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Attached Files:

• 123.JPG
      123.JPG
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The problem you're running into is related to the fonts being used not having the characters you need in their character lists - so default characters get substituted, the box and lines you speak of. Unfortunately, the only simple fix is to use a different font in the document, and there's not much you can do about the system font on the Mac OS.

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about in Windows XP, can anything be done, or is it really what font is available in Word?