MS Word - Selecting Cell Contents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KlytusLord, Feb 7, 2012.

1. KlytusLord macrumors regular

Hello all,

I hope I can explain this properly. This applies to creating tables in MS Word.

In Windows, I can place my cursor inside any table cell by simply clicking anywhere inside the cell in question.

in OSX, however, any mouse clicking selects the cell outline instead of placing the cursor inside it. I can only move about the cell using the keyboard arrows.
    I have tried using modifier keys when clicking, such as ALT, CONTROL, etc, but the result is always the same: I keep selecting the full cell outline (not the contents) and I can just not get the cursor inside the content area.

I have looked through settings, but cannot see anything that applies.

Assuming my description makes sense, does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Click once to select cell, click again to place cursor inside cell to modify text. (Assuming that is what you are questioning asking).

3. KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this and I just cannot get it to work.

No matter how many times I click, it just highlights the cell outline and it will not let me, for example, select a word inside the cell to replace it.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Which version of Word are you using? I just tried it in 2011 and 2008 and I am able to make it work.

5. KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help.

I am using Office 2011, and it turns out the problem is only with a downloaded label template.

If I create a new table myself, then everything works fine.

So, there must be something weird with the file I am using.

Thanks again for the replies. It saved me a lot of unnecessary headache.