MS Word spell checking seems to have disappeared?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by watermelon111, Dec 6, 2008.

1. watermelon111 macrumors newbie

Dec 6, 2008
    Hi All,

I would very much appreciate your knowledgeable mac help!

So im writing my dissertation in MS word on my mac. Im spell checking, its coming up underlined in red when its wrong and everything is hunkey dorey. its even doing it now as i type in this box.

So i leave my work for a few days, my cat walks over the keyboard a few times, and now my spell checking doenst work!

I've gone into preference in word, and checked everything is fine (which it was) and when i run spell check, it says its finished- as in there are no errors. BUT, there are. i put them in on purpose and it doesn't recognize them. I tried opening a new doc and spell checking, it still doesn't recognize the errors. I tried shutting down and it still doesn't work. unfortunately that is the limit of my computer/mac knowledge of fixing things, which is why i bow at your feet for help!

Is there a solution and do i need to punish my cat?
  2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Mountain View, CA USA
    The Word:Mac MVPs have a whole page on their site dedicated to spellcheck issues. Try their advice and see what works. If none of that works, you might want to post on the Word:Mac public newsgroup. Lots of the Word MVPs hang out there and might be able to give you some additional advice.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Mountain View, CA USA
    Oh, I forgot to say - don't punish the kitty, that won't fix the spellcheck problem. :)

My own cats have the habit of walking across my keyboard. Now I have the habit of making sure that my laptop is closed if I leave it on the sofa, and I either shut down my iMac or move the keyboard somewhere where they can't walk across it. One of them seems to have figured out which of my keyboard's shortcut keys will start iTunes playing! I'm not sure which one of the two has done it -- Tipsy is more curious about electronics, but Nemesis is the one who walks across the desk more often.