MS Word still crashing ... please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bozzy, Jul 31, 2007.

1. bozzy macrumors newbie

I've got a serious problem with MS Word. It started a few weeks ago and I've backtracked and tried to eliminate the problem by following every piece of info I could find on the threads here and elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated and in particular if I could find out where MS Word is stashing it's error messages (i've looked in console and system) maybe I can get a bit further on my issue resolution.

My problem is as stated in several other threads....when I start word (either from the applications icon or by opening up an existing document) it bounces on my dock for a bit then just disappears. The first time opening it after a restart it bounces for a bit longer (about 5 secs) than any subsequent time without a reboot (about 1 sec).

I've updated office and osx, cleaned out my fonts, removed all font caches, removed flip4mac and perian, booted in safe mode and tried to start it. Basically just about everything I've read in the threads.

I'm using NeoOffice, but have been for a while so I don't think that is the issue. I'm down to using word in parallels when I need features that I just can't get in NeoOffice. MS Office under parallels is painfully slow and is such a memory hog I can't seriously multi-task while parallels is open....

Intel Core2Duo, 3GB, etc etc

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Sounds like you have a similar problem to me - update 10.4.10 seems to have borked Rosetta apps (PowerPC) like MS Office 2004 and Photoshop 7 for me.

I wonder what we both have in common that's caused this? Haven't seen many other people with same problem...

3. bozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if that is the problem as I did have some other powerpc apps running (I was running Norton, but I've since uninstalled it).

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nope can't be that as I'm running 10.4.10 and my MS Office '04 works just fine.

OP, I think I experienced something similar to that earlier this year. I ended up completely deleting every last MS office related file and just completely re-installing it. Not a great solution, but it worked for me. :eek:

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm also running Office 2004 with 10.4.10 and have no problems. Have you updated to the latest version (11.3.6)? You may also want to try devilot's suggestion of deleting and reinstalling MS Office. Or, at least, deleting all preferences.

I've also found that occasionally the "PDFMakerLib" file causes problems. Try deleting that - it's in the Office main application folder.

6. PURCELL429 macrumors member

I just bought a fresh copy and the same thing happens to me. What the hell?

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Try deleting the PDFMakerLib" file. I'd be willing to bet that fixes it.

8. bozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Same issue. The icon bounces in the dock for a few seconds and then just disappears. Anybody know where the log file may be?

9. bozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Doh!

So I nuked every MS thing I could find. Inserted the CD into the drive and it brings up a splash with an application called "Office Setup Assistant" which you are to double-click to install. It behaves the same way that the Office apps were. It bounces on the dock for a few seconds and stops. Now I don't have office installed at all (which isn't really a problem as it wasn't working before).

Still seeking log location or other troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks.....
    boz

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hm. How did you look for the files? Spotlight, too?

Try using the disc's uninstaller or if that doesn't work either, then try using this app (you can use it a few times for free) AppZapper to get rid of all the MS stuff and try reinstalling again? :eek:

11. bozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I initially appzapped the MS apps, then nuked the Office2004 folder. Then I combed through the filesystem manually Macintosh HD/Library/etc and ~/Library/etc...

I'm pretty sure it is clean of any file that the install would have created as well as any preference files and any other cache type files.

No luck.

From another thread....sounds like the same issue....

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

You're on an Intel machine. Any chance you might have b0rked Rosetta in some attempt to remove excess languages (say, if you used Monolingual)? You wouldn't be the first on these forums to have done so.

13. bozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't think so. But just to check I reloaded Norton Antivirus and it is running fine (it runs under Rosetta).

Other suggestions?

14. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

1) Scroll to post number 8 in this thread.

2) Click the provided link.

15. PURCELL429 macrumors member

This is what I did...how do I fix this???

16. wheels524 macrumors newbie

This is what I did as well (my issue was listed from the quote from bozzy above).

Is the only easy fix for this to reimage my mac or is there a way to reinstall the files I've deleted using monolingual?

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

From what I've read on MR, those who unfortunately messed up the necessary packages for Rosetta to run?

Only solution?

Re-install. :eek: Time to pull out those instal discs. :/