MS Word still crashing ... please help

bozzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I've got a serious problem with MS Word. It started a few weeks ago and I've backtracked and tried to eliminate the problem by following every piece of info I could find on the threads here and elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated and in particular if I could find out where MS Word is stashing it's error messages (i've looked in console and system) maybe I can get a bit further on my issue resolution.

My problem is as stated in several other threads....when I start word (either from the applications icon or by opening up an existing document) it bounces on my dock for a bit then just disappears. The first time opening it after a restart it bounces for a bit longer (about 5 secs) than any subsequent time without a reboot (about 1 sec).

I've updated office and osx, cleaned out my fonts, removed all font caches, removed flip4mac and perian, booted in safe mode and tried to start it. Basically just about everything I've read in the threads.

I'm using NeoOffice, but have been for a while so I don't think that is the issue. I'm down to using word in parallels when I need features that I just can't get in NeoOffice. MS Office under parallels is painfully slow and is such a memory hog I can't seriously multi-task while parallels is open....

Intel Core2Duo, 3GB, etc etc

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Sounds like you have a similar problem to me - update 10.4.10 seems to have borked Rosetta apps (PowerPC) like MS Office 2004 and Photoshop 7 for me.

I wonder what we both have in common that's caused this? Haven't seen many other people with same problem...

bozzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Sounds like you have a similar problem to me - update 10.4.10 seems to have borked Rosetta apps (PowerPC) like MS Office 2004 and Photoshop 7 for me.

I wonder what we both have in common that's caused this? Haven't seen many other people with same problem...
I'm not sure if that is the problem as I did have some other powerpc apps running (I was running Norton, but I've since uninstalled it).

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sounds like you have a similar problem to me - update 10.4.10 seems to have borked Rosetta apps (PowerPC) like MS Office 2004...
Nope can't be that as I'm running 10.4.10 and my MS Office '04 works just fine.

OP, I think I experienced something similar to that earlier this year. I ended up completely deleting every last MS office related file and just completely re-installing it. Not a great solution, but it worked for me. :eek:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm also running Office 2004 with 10.4.10 and have no problems. Have you updated to the latest version (11.3.6)? You may also want to try devilot's suggestion of deleting and reinstalling MS Office. Or, at least, deleting all preferences.

I've also found that occasionally the "PDFMakerLib" file causes problems. Try deleting that - it's in the Office main application folder.

bozzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Try deleting the PDFMakerLib" file. I'd be willing to bet that fixes it.
Nope. Same issue. The icon bounces in the dock for a few seconds and then just disappears. Anybody know where the log file may be?

bozzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Doh!

... I ended up completely deleting every last MS office related file and just completely re-installing it. Not a great solution, but it worked for me. :eek: ...
You may also want to try devilot's suggestion of deleting and reinstalling MS Office. Or, at least, deleting all preferences.
So I nuked every MS thing I could find. Inserted the CD into the drive and it brings up a splash with an application called "Office Setup Assistant" which you are to double-click to install. It behaves the same way that the Office apps were. It bounces on the dock for a few seconds and stops. Now I don't have office installed at all (which isn't really a problem as it wasn't working before).

Still seeking log location or other troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks.....
boz

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
So I nuked every MS thing I could find.
Hm. How did you look for the files? Spotlight, too?

Try using the disc's uninstaller or if that doesn't work either, then try using this app (you can use it a few times for free) AppZapper to get rid of all the MS stuff and try reinstalling again? :eek:

bozzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hm. How did you look for the files? Spotlight, too?

Try using the disc's uninstaller or if that doesn't work either, then try using this app (you can use it a few times for free) AppZapper to get rid of all the MS stuff and try reinstalling again? :eek:
I initially appzapped the MS apps, then nuked the Office2004 folder. Then I combed through the filesystem manually Macintosh HD/Library/etc and ~/Library/etc...

I'm pretty sure it is clean of any file that the install would have created as well as any preference files and any other cache type files.

No luck.

From another thread....sounds like the same issue....

Hello, I have just reinstalled Office 2004 after having reimaged my MacBook a few weeks ago and now have all the current OSX updates. However, when I go to start any of the office programs, the icon just bounces in the dock and then goes away, not loading the program whatsoever.

This is what Console reports the program is doing:

===== Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:30:54 PM US/Central =====
2007-08-02 16:31:00.180 Microsoft Word[302] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /System/Library/CoreServices/MLTEFile.bundle/Contents/MacOS/MLTEFile
Aug 2 16:31:00 brians-computer /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Word: CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow.
dyld: NSAddImage() error
dyld: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/Printers/Libraries/libConverter.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/libConverter.dylib

============================================

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. As I am about to start school again this next week I am really going to need to be able to use Word.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
You're on an Intel machine. Any chance you might have b0rked Rosetta in some attempt to remove excess languages (say, if you used Monolingual)? You wouldn't be the first on these forums to have done so.

bozzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
You're on an Intel machine. Any chance you might have b0rked Rosetta in some attempt to remove excess languages (say, if you used Monolingual)? You wouldn't be the first on these forums to have done so.
Don't think so. But just to check I reloaded Norton Antivirus and it is running fine (it runs under Rosetta).

Other suggestions?

PURCELL429

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
This is what I did...how do I fix this???

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
From what I've read on MR, those who unfortunately messed up the necessary packages for Rosetta to run?

Only solution?

Re-install. :eek: Time to pull out those instal discs. :/